New Release - WD My Cloud Firmware Release 3.03.02 (1/29/14)

SectorGZ wrote:

If I get banned for voicing my opinion on a forum for which is designated to support the product I purchased from said company then so be it!

I really don’t care “the equity price of WD has risen to heights never seen before”, my concern is the product I purchased from this company … NOT it’s stock price. Although this is a self-help forum I would like to ask you several questions:

People come here to research and receive help, agreed? … From Whom? Other users that have basically the same issues as I? Wouldn’t it be relevant and promote a working relationship between WD and it’s clientele and have Techs or WD representatives helping the end user? That is my point … period.

You missed the last line in my previous post, which states ,“I am not trying to raise discontent here, as it serves no good purpose. I am merely pointing out GOOD business practices.” That has nothing to do with large or small companies.

Nobody is going to ban you for voicing your opinion.  Just look at how many posts there are from frustrated users. Banning on this community only happens when a user starts spamming hate posts (which most certainly includes WD), harasses other users continuously, posts misleading and misguiding information continuously, attempts to incite a legal riot, etc. 

If you post such posts, including a threat to legal action on the community, our Terms of Service (Section 13) gives us the right to remove such posts. It also gives us the right to ban a user at our discretion, based on our judgment of that user’s behavior.  Yet, we don’t just ban anyone (well except spammers).  You all need to go back and read the Usage Guidelines and our Terms of Service, which you agreed to when you registered to this community.  It might help you understand why we do the things we do as moderators.

However, as moderators, our focus is on making sure that users abide by the guidelines.  If someone is having issues with the products, and can’t get help from the community, we will escalate them to customer service, as someone like Pacific_Dollars has already found out.  So we are helping as best we can.  But keep in mind that this is a user to user community. And it will stay a user to user community.  So, if you’re upset that we, WD, are not here answering every question, here, then you need to contact Support directly to get that kind of help.

1 Like

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

@ All,

Maybe if I appear at the WD Office like this, they will listen to me real quick !

http://www.thegreenhead.com/2014/01/medieval-chainmail-necktie.php < ~~~~

Mawhahahahaha.

Or arrest you…  I’d be careful about joking around like this. 

My Cloud(2TB) got disconnected or down after firmware 3.03.02 upgrade. Never happen before this firmware.

Blue LED in the front is still on and LAN LEDs in the back are still blinking, and drive is spinning too BUT JUST CAN"T SEE it anywhere, from computer or any portable devices.

I have to unplug the power to reboot it but after a while, says 4-5 hours later, it goes down again.

Is it known bug in this 3.03.02 firmware? Any solutions?

Thanks,

SF

@ Bill,

You know that that was just a silly joke is it not ? There was not need to be serious about that. I have got my appointment tomorrow with a 2nd Level engineer and I have plenty to share about this particular firmware and what it has done so far.

And it is not a happy story, rather much of sincere frustration. I also want to mention I am a advanced and experienced computer user, but I have  had three hardware things recently that really have been doing my head in.

1. Apple TV, issues with NTP not working through a specific router named Linksys WRT610n and the EA6700, not knowing that Apple TV needs this access to set date and time before been able to work with an itunes account and believe me I have been breaking my head over it as well the Linksys team. There is no manual solution for this, except liase with the hardware manufacturer as well with software/firmware programmers. 

2. Three (mobile phone provider) Home Signal Booster from NEC not working, same problem, no NTP, nor manual overide for this. Extensively interacted with Three Mobile about this, no solution.

3. WD My Cloud 3 TB from Thailand and Malaysia, endless issues and problems as well on the second one now,  since the first one just “died” for no reason, with all my data on it of a lifetime. That on itselves is to go out of one’s roof, can  you agree ? If I still could have accessed the Dashboard after that this Firmware was issued and installed, then I would not be so grumpy and miserable about it. Do also appreciate that I actually don’t have any time left concerning this and now running out of options to use this hardware.

Bill, if you go through my posts you will see I have been sincere and upright and direct to the point. I have tested the setup extensively and tonight I am going to one more test concerning redoing my safepoint, this will start from tonight and I will make notes and report accordingly my findings. I hope you don’t mind me doing this, while I am at it, even though I have spend too much time on this piece of hardware what has been drawing too much out of my attention so far. If others would have encountered such things as I have so far, they would have been shouting down the line of WD support and you can go through the reports of WD support that have been in contact with me that I have been courteous and controlled about these problems. So I just made some banter with that link so we all can have a laugh instead of being too serious about this. 

Anyways, I wish you well and hope that I and WD can come to a solution that might be helpful for others here who have similar problems. So, Take care, no pun intended, :wink:

I have no question concerning your sincerity.  Actually, I posted that more for others than for you.  That’s why I didn’t pull the post.  I knew you were messing around. 

Don’t worry guys,  Bill is a tyrant here in the office not just on the forums… making us listen to his polka music.

1 Like

2TBuser wrote:

My Cloud(2TB) got disconnected or down after firmware 3.03.02 upgrade. Never happen before this firmware.

Blue LED in the front is still on and LAN LEDs in the back are still blinking, and drive is spinning too BUT JUST CAN"T SEE it anywhere, from computer or any portable devices.

I have to unplug the power to reboot it but after a while, says 4-5 hours later, it goes down again.

Is it known bug in this 3.03.02 firmware? Any solutions?

Thanks,

SF

it is a known bug since ever. you were just lucky for never having it  before.

turn the sleep mode off until a fix comes up…

And its gone again this morning!!

I bought this to back up my data, but principally to be a DLNA server for music etc. What is the use of the thing if everytime I want to watch something on the tv, I have to first pull the plug on the MyCloud, wait a few seconds, put it back in then wait up to an hour before it finishes scanning the DLNA dtabase again and the videos can be seen!!

How can I access my content when away from home when I can’t physically reboot it.

I Have a panasonic freeview recorder which also does DLNA and that just works, it is always there, so it can’t be impossible to sort this.

It worked on the previous firmware, I just wish I had not upgraded this weekend expecting that to fix the Java issue and allow me to update Java as well

Hi Everyone,

I am new to WD Cloud system however I used to work for computer stores since the early 2000’s. Quite familiar to hardware installaion and advanced to expert OS config and stuff.

After reading all posts of this topic, I can summarise the issues with my MyCloud 3TB device (Product of Malay).

1. It appears an error code after upgrading to .156 firmware at the first boot up. Since I used to upgrade the device to the latest firmware before I start copying stuff into it.

2. The device hangs a bit during “updating” the devide name from WDMYCLOUD to my own selection say PeterCloudDevice for an example. It hangs there for more than 5 minutes. I am forced to quite the UI interface and get back in however failed to loggin again. I rebooted the device and it started working. However I have lost confident on the device with this simple update.

3. After copying most of my lost data from another dying hard disk to the Mycloud device, the dashboard told me a new firmware is available. No doubt 99.9% of the user who did NOT read this post will click upgrade since firmware upgrade means bug fixed and improved performance. Agreed? The reason of getting a new storage was due to the dying hdd that has sotred my entire life’s pictures with my family and my love. All memories since 15 years ago, with majority of the scanned hard copies photos.

After upgrading to 03.03.02.165 it died! LED keep blinking white and I have no way getting into the dashboard nor via mycloud website or on the network. 

1. The customer support (from Hong Kong) did not try to solve my issue. Instead, “she” straightly said that is a hardware problem or some sort of conflict between the firmware and hardware! And she simply asked me to return the product to the sole distributor for an exchange. I mean what the…? If that is a firmware issue, I asked if I can have the OS fixed and then I will be able to retrieve all my data, since the OS might have deleted the partition table or some sort of technical jargon that I cant understand. Then I asked the tech person that how could I retrieve all lost data in the Mycloud, and she referes me to the data recovery company, and I will be paying all cost!  

Should anyone here not angry with this company when:

1. You have purchased a product from a quite realiable company in the world;

2. The deemed to be realiable product is working out of order after a few days DUE TO THE FACTORY PROVIDED FIRMWARE UPGRADE;

3. You seek help from the tech support with a crappy answer at the same time NOT trying to understand the issue and refers the customer to travel for miles to the distributor for an exchange or a fix;

4. Technical support is absolutely poor in customer service by telling me that there is a conflict between the firmware and hardware. So what is the point of purchasing your products? Does it means when WD decided that it is time to destroy your data by giving you guys a firmware upgrade and down all your devices?

This is a very serious problem with WD and I seriously recommend WD to fix the problem. 

I am, and some of the users here are, very simple customers!   I want a device that is SIMPLY realiable to store my data ONLY. 

WD! Please FIX THIS…

Hey Little Fish,

Something similar happened to me. Just come off the phone with European support and person made notes and is going to email and I have to sent my WD My Cloud report.

I was promised a 2nd level Engineer, which was not the case. When I found out I was a bit disappointed, because that is what they said they would do.

We did replicate some issues that I have with the device and came both to the conclusion I did no make up any of the issues that are occurring.

This Firmware is not 100% at all and at the least thing still shaky in it’s operation on many devices clearly. Are now doing a Safepoint and is now working on that for 20 hours so far. Not USB 3.0 speed as this port of WD My Cloud is designed for and the External HDD is capable of.

I feel for you about your annoyance because that is how I feel and indeed how can we trust a device with our lifetime information on it, if it behaves like it does.

Indeed WD needs to go back to the drawing board and get this right, Sales Team, Technical Team, Support Team , because otherwise they will only shoot themselves in the foot with this thing if it is not petered out real quick now.

I do believe it has great potential but so far only Synology and Qnap have been able do deliver stable devices in this. So if WD wants to compete in the market, they quickly need to do something about this problematic device.

To have one thing and have all your memories stored on it and can’t access it to wipe it because it is not accessable anymore, is a big problem. There always should be a possibility to reset somehow. 

Suggestion: 4 seconds for Password Reset, 40 Seconds for Shares to make Public and no data destruction and as last resort total Wipeout if in case device does not respond or is accessible anymore. Most hardware is designed like that, so why not WD ? 

Nobody likes to bring back their device with their private information  on it to the:

1.The repair man.

1. The computer shop.

2. Western Digital. 

After all our information is in general private and not for share for the rest of the world without our agreement.

If you can’t destroy the Data before bringing back the device, anyone can take out the harddisk and attach it to a SATA connector and access our data, that is not what it suppose to able to do so if someone does this.

Secondly, quality control should be done again and again in all the batches that are manufactured if the device still lives up to it’s design and what it is used for from the Headoffice in the US. If this is not the case, the batch need to be discarded and not reach customer side, who will bear the brunt of the problems that the device brings with itselves.

If this is not done or skimped upon, this will damage the reputation of WD to be a reliable backup/storage data company. I can’t imagine that WD would have such a name attached to their careful build up reputation as a world changer in data and backup storage to have a byword on their name and have it blemished with a WD My Cloud device what they so aggressively have advertised all over the world.

daytrdr wrote:

Don’t worry guys,  Bill is a tyrant here in the office not just on the forums… making us listen to his polka music.

Just for you daytrdr…  (Thanks Pacific_Dollars)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCXwTcZ1mAA

After experiencing my first lockup on the original software, I updated to this new version successfully.  Hopefully this will help.

It did however trash my modifications to sudoers, so I had to fix that.

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

I was promised a 2nd level Engineer, which was not the case. When I found out I was a bit disappointed, because that is what they said they would do.

We did replicate some issues that I have with the device and came both to the conclusion I did no make up any of the issues that are occurring.

I just got an email/call for a 2nd Level Engineer for which called during my working hours. I sent an email back trying to setup a phone call for this Saturday ( Feb. 8. 2014 ) as I will be there. We’ll see what happens. Hopefully it will be a 2nd Level Engineer.

Geez, My hopes were flying high for awhile, but after they did this to you I guess I can expect the same.

Did you come up with any resolutions? I bought mine on Dec. 27, 2013 so I know the store won’t take it back, they have a 30 day policy. Will WD take it back?

I was really hoping to hear better news … Sorry Pacific_Dollars :cry:

WOW, I just bought my 4TB version this weekend. Had my share of issues after upgrading to this version of friwmare but nothing like this. This thread scares the heck out of me.

I bought it primarly to be a DLNA server at home. Now I think I better delete all my media and return this dog. Sad, since the h/w network performance is really good. Using it as a remote share works quite well but the DLNA media serving is truly poor. I used to have good impression of Twonky Media server that lead me to make the decision.

The DLNA server is really slow and rather unstable.

Good luck with your resolution. What is a better alternative?

pplwin:   Keep in mind one thing.   Might not make a difference; this is just my opinion for what it’s worth.

The older My Book Lives had Twonky 5.1.9 on them.   Worked as solid as a rock – for devices that worked with Twonky 5.1.9.  People complained forever that it never got updated.

Now we have the My Cloud NAS which is running a version of Twonky that’s so new, it only recently became available to most systems… version 7.2.6.

So WD may have erred in going with “Bleeding Edge” Twonky version, but I think ti will be worth it in the long run when these bizarre kinks get worked out.

I’ve not had a single issue with Twonky on my Cloud – but I’m not using those atypical media types that WD has found yet.  

We shall see…

@ SectorGZ,

No resolutions yet. I have to send the Log of the My Cloud to them first. Had another error. I shutdown the My Cloud after removing the External USB and then restarted it and put the External USB back, gave me a strange error in red something to do with Http. Oh well, it said contact WD support. Hahaha. 

Everyone, any recommendation? Should I downgrade back to firmware 03.03.02.156 or keep it as 03.03.02.165?

Little_Fish

@ Pacific_Dollars,

Where was your MyCloud made? Mine was Malaysia and I am wondering if there is a “Quality” issue with manufacturing in that area. Just trying to do a sudo “Opex”  (Operational Excellence) senerio. There has to be a Y=f(X) to find a solution. We have not the background and knowledge base of these units to even start deducing a solution or reasons of so many various issues.

What are the logs going to tell them? … is this an error report? I know within the Dashboard there is that triangle that shows errors, ( if clicked ), but I delete the errors, as they tell me very little, and the documentation does not explain what the error truely is, or how to fix it, or follow it to a detailed resolution.

Hopefully we can get something solved. I know I’m out of my 30 day return policy to the store. I have owned it ~45 days and I’m not sure what to do. :confounded:

@ SectorGZ,

If you go through my post you will see that I had 2 and 1 was from Malaysia, the first one, the second one was from Thailand which I have now.

WD Support has responded and I am working on some tests they want me to do.

Ttyl,

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

@ SectorGZ,

No resolutions yet. I have to send the Log of the My Cloud to them first. Had another error. I shutdown the My Cloud after removing the External USB and then restarted it and put the External USB back, gave me a strange error in red something to do with Http. Oh well, it said contact WD support. Hahaha. 

We’re still figuring out what’s going on.  The logs are important for that.  So, sorry it wasn’t about a resolution.