NOTICE: WD2Go.com and WDMyCloud.com users in relay mode are reporting that connections

Back in the US (Maryland), DaveCloudLife lives on for another day…

Now that we are back in business, can I make a few requests??

1. Update phone apps to be able to search by name or scroll by letter

2. Iphone/Ipad app update to stream video by choosing application to run (preferably VLC)

3. Chromecast compatible for remote users

Are you serious?!?!?!?

This **bleep** notice comes out after I am 90% of the way through a factory reset!  **bleep**!?!  Not to mention I have an advanced replacement drive received through the RMA process that I was expected to put into service later today.

Extremely poor customer service here.  I’m ready to send the drive to the trash can at this point!

Anybody from WD

Based on what I have seen  in this forum today. I am quite concerned about the safety of my data. As with everyone in this forum, I was under the impression MyCloud was litteraly, My Cloud. Having found that my content is being synced to WD servers (or maybe even a single server) I have submitted a support ticket asking how I can get my data removed from their systems. I will be disabling the Cloud Access on my drive which makes this a really expensive NAS but, rather that than somebody having access to my data and clearly the likelihood of no access for whatever reason.

I have also asked where this was specified in the T’s and C’s of this drive. Hopefully WD can point this out to me. If not,  there would be some more interresting places to post this information.

2 Likes

MJHMSI wrote:

Are you serious?!?!?!?

This **bleep** notice comes out after I am 90% of the way through a factory reset!  **bleep**!?!  Not to mention I have an advanced replacement drive received through the RMA process that I was expected to put into service later today.

Extremely poor customer service here.  I’m ready to send the drive to the trash can at this point!

You are angry that it is fixed??

MJHMSI wrote:

Are you serious?!?!?!?

you could send it to me. :wink:

EugeM wrote:

Having found that my content is being synced to WD servers (or maybe even a single server) I have submitted a support ticket asking how I can get my data removed from their systems

Why do people say this things?  I see no possible way they do this.  Why do you think that?    If this was happening, there would be MANY MANY reports in this forum of people with Metered Internet Service having *HUGE* expensive charges!

I have 4TB on my Cloud – My internet usage is very small.   If they were syncing 4TB across internet, my access bill would be $1,300 in one month!  :laughing:

EugeM wrote:I will be disabling the Cloud Access on my drive which makes this a really expensive NAS

You think it is expensive?  The NAS feature is only $30-$50 if you subtract price of internal disk.  This NAS is very low cost.

If you think this NAS is expensive, you should see other brands!  Compare QNAP- NAS is $150 diskless.   Compare Synology, NAS is $150 to $300 diskless.

3 Likes

Ok… finally, my My Cloud device is shown as online on wd2go.com.

But as I click on my My Cloud drive after I passed the login-screen my browser keeps on loading but nothing happens.

Are the WD servers facing speed or connection problems? Becaus I still can’t get on my My Cloud device and this really is a pity. At least I can see a small improvement, that my device is online now, but it still is useless, we my browser doesn’t stop loading, once I click on my My Cloud and nothing happens :frowning: .

So, after a week any word on what went wrong…and for all those who are mad, wd mycloud is a cheap NAS, so it performs like one as I am finding out. If you want more reliability, check out the other options from other manufactures. There are a TON

Yes i am looking, I see Synolgy do some nice gear.

1 Like

alibabau wrote:

That’s the real issue. Our data privacy.

Is it a real personal cloud or a WD SERVER FARM CLOUD?

At this point which are the differences between a service like dropbox and Mycloud?

Maybe the difference is that nobody told me about this data transfer on wd server!!!

The WD My Cloud series of products is a real personal cloud. The data that is stored on these products is both private and secure. Your data is not stored on our servers, unlike public cloud services. The My Cloud servers are in place for remote access authentication. 

1 Like

EugeM wrote:

Anybody from WD

Based on what I have seen  in this forum today. I am quite concerned about the safety of my data. As with everyone in this forum, I was under the impression MyCloud was litteraly, My Cloud. Having found that my content is being synced to WD servers (or maybe even a single server) I have submitted a support ticket asking how I can get my data removed from their systems. I will be disabling the Cloud Access on my drive which makes this a really expensive NAS but, rather that than somebody having access to my data and clearly the likelihood of no access for whatever reason.

I have also asked where this was specified in the T’s and C’s of this drive. Hopefully WD can point this out to me. If not,  there would be some more interresting places to post this information.

The WD My Cloud series of products is a real personal cloud. The data that is stored on these products is both private and secure. Your data is not stored on our servers, unlike public cloud services. The My Cloud servers are in place for remote access authentication. 

1 Like

For the latest update on service issues for My Cloud and My Book Live, please visit http://www.wdc.com/en/MyCloudUpdate/

TBFGhost wrote:
So, after a week any word on what went wrong…and for all those who are mad, wd mycloud is a cheap NAS, so it performs like one as I am finding out. If you want more reliability, check out the other options from other manufactures. There are a TON

This is a “personal cloud” product and service sold by probably the largest and most respected player in the data storage industry.  Price has nothing to do with it.  Product features are listed in the product descriptions and we purchase the product based on that.  Even if a fully loaded 16TB EX4 was listed for $500 total, if they state it has certain features then they should provide those features and back it up with a warranty.  Service outages can happen at any time and WD really only owes you “best effort” service but their lack of communication and transparency is what upset many users that were frustrated they couldn’t access their data, myself included.

I’ve seen many users upset over the remote connectivity speak of taking their business elsewhere and that’s always an option for anyone.  I even suggested that as an option for those that seemed beyond upset.   I’m a WD fan because in 15+ years using their drives I haven’t had one go bad unless it’s many years past the warranty and close to the MTBF lifetime for the drive.   I may decide to vote with my feet and purchase other NAS and Cloud solutions from other vendors if WD can’t address and help me resolve the few issues I’ve had with my EX4, but I will still continue to purchase their drives as WD provides far superior drives than their competition.  

In terms of product reliability for WD…  I’ve owned MANY various WD NAS devices and I’m usually one of the first few to invest in these products.  I still have one of the first WD Netcenters that runs great other that the fact it only holds 320GB of storage and I don’t use it anymore.  I haven’t had many issues before with WD products so I continue to invest in them.  The EX4 was the first device I’ve bought from WD that really had issues.  Maybe that’s my fault for purchasing it as soon as it hit the market, but based on the previous WD devices I’ve purchased I didn’t think it would be this much of a nightmare.   I will rethink this if the remote access continues to be unreliable and slow and if WD cannot address the CPU issue I’m having.  

In terms of product reliability for the MyCloud product line and the EX4 I own outside of the CPU and remote access issues I’m having… These are NOT the highest rated NAS in terms of performance and sheer read/write speed and users should research this before making a purchase.  As far as the numbers of features and functionality, they have a lot of options to use them many different ways. Sure I have my own wishlist for firmware updates and new features but I’m not lacking anything major.  I bought my EX4 based on the features they advertised.  I haven’t purchased the older MyBook or MyCloud standard NAS because they don’t have the features I’m looking for.

The MyCloud app itself needs a major overhaul. It only really reads one single format for video and audio files (.mp4 and .mp3 files) and the app itself is poorly laid out.  The settings are severely lacking and the remote access is extremely sluggish.  The few times it actually streams my media files which may be due to the server issues they’re having, it actually plays those media files faster than the media I’ve downloaded direct to my phone.  I’d rather use the VLC app any day but it can’t connect remotely like I want.  WD is a hardware company in my opinion and that’s what they do best.  Hopefully someone will design a better mobile app that is capable of connecting remotely to my EX4.  If so I will delete the MyCloud app and never look back.  Maybe with the release of the WD SDK someone will develop a much better app or maybe WD can partner up with VLC who specializes in this.  Either way the MyCloud app stinks and it’s so ugly I hate just  looking at it but it’s the only option I can find at this time.

I’m sure someone will reply and say the limited ability to playback various file types is due to my iPhone but I don’t buy that.  The VLC app can outright play files types such as (.avi, .mkv, .flac, etc.) that the MyCloud app cannot.  This means it’s all about the software and not the limitations of my phone.

STATUS UPDATE FOR MY REMOTE CONNECTION:  My EX4 has switched back to Port Forwarding on it’s own. I can connect now and browse my files but it’s too sluggish to even use as far as streaming even the smallest amount of audio.  I have a 3mbps upload at my home and office and 50mbps download on my phone which is more than enough to stream basic audio.  Something in the app or way the remote connection is established is causing the connection to be slow in my opinion. 

1 Like

Hi.

I still cannot connect through my 2 android smartphones, and also not through  https://www.wd2go.com/login.do

The only thing that works is PC in my home network…

I rebooted the NAS yesterday = no change.

Im living in Sweden… When will this be fixed??

Hi,

I am from Sweden too.

www.wd2go.com does not work for me.

After rebooting it is the same: “Cannot establish remote access connection. Make sure you are connected to the internet”.

Thus, connection to My Cloud EX2 only by LAN, remot connection does not work.

STILL NOT &%#%*&^* RESTORED.

Unable to login to Dashboard… just sits there…rebooted reset etc the bloody useless device…

think I am in line to return it… it’s a joke…

1 Like

MyCloud is working here in Pakistan (bit slow).

But now I see my MyCloud device in the “File Explorer” Like "wdmycloud.device12017.wd2go.com.

No contents are showing in the “File Explorer” on My Network. Kindly any one who solved, advice pls

MyCloud app for the windows is working fine. Its hard to retrieve or copy the data from the app. “File Explorer” is the easy way to retrieve or copy the data.

Tried again today, still wont respond once I put my log in details in, just sits there doing nothing in the UK and not coming up with the drive access screen.

As I already told, www.wd2go.com does not work for me:

"Server not found
Firefox can’t find the server at www.wd2go.com"

Is it the same for everybody?

leonidnk wrote:

As I already told, www.wd2go.com does not work for me:

"Server not found
Firefox can’t find the server at www.wd2go.com"

Is it the same for everybody?

Works for me. Canada.