MyCloud stops streaming vieo files during playback randomly

How do I know if I am using SMB or DLNA or is that auto depending upon the connection or player or something?

It depends on both server and client. The one you’re using with potplayer is via SMB(Samba), the resource gets retrieved from window’s explorer when you open the file from the network shares (btw I’ve finished streaming several movies on potplayer with no issues). It’s strange that you could transfer large files from the shares using the windows explorer but having problem while streaming. Both actually using the same read method from the shares. Can you try streaming with VLC? Though it doesn’t drop any of my streams, I do noticed that potplayer is a bit buggy, crashed couple of times when I’m messing with the advance settings.

If you want to test DLNA, try Windows Media Player. Your mycloud will appear under WMP’s left panel after the “Other Libraries” tree. Note that however DLNA have limited specifications. E.g. by default it doesn’t support MKV, but my smart tv plays MKVs via DNLA with no issues. So this would depends on the DLNA rendering client.