MyCloud stops streaming vieo files during playback randomly

My WDMYCLOUD at some point in the past couple of months started to stop streaming during video playback.

There is no specific amount of time until this happens, could be 20 mins. or 1 hour but it is very annoying to have to close my media player. (Tried many, WMP,POTPlayer, VLC, MPCStar but the issue happens with any player on any computer on the home network now.) No changes were made to anything on my systems, or network to affect this.

From what I see here and there there is some known issue that is causing this to happen?

A bad firmware update?

This has become very annoying and frsutrating as I know re-drag files back to my desktop to play them which completely defeats the purpose of having external storage.

Can someone please provide some information and details on this issue and/or provide me to a fix link or open topic with this exact same issue.

I really, really hope that if there is a known issue that WD is fully working on a fix because I paid good money for this of from my searches there seems to be many issues similair.

Thank you in advance for any help and replies!

Did the issue started after firmware update? Which firmware are you on? The latest v04.00.01-623?

I assumed you’re streaming via SMB? The issue could be probably because of SMB timeout. Let us know how you do it. Have you tried DLNA via twonky? http://wdmycloud:9000/ … I never encountered any dropout issues from firmware v3 to the latest v4. My kids would DLNA stream cartoons playlist all day long to the TV without dropouts.

Bought a 3tb. MyCloud

Unwrapped and connected to home network

Moved 2000+ avi, mp4 and mkv video files to it fast and simple.

It is on auto firmware update so yes the most recent version

All sleep, hibernation modes or any power saving options, or drive shutdown are ALL disabled from day 1.

Yes I recall the issue happening around the same time as recieving an e-mail system notification for something maybe a firmwar update because I have never recieved high alerts and only a few warnings when the power went out notifying me of a system restart.

SMB?

DLNA?

twonky?

Shouldn’t the device just work properly as is like it is suppose to?

Sorry for slow reply was waiting for admin or moderator e-mail to reply to me after the site will not let me log in on Chrome anymore for some reason after my first reply,… get a site error that say’s contack moderator but then I just opened IE 11 and logged right in,… hmnnnn.

Also as I said worked perfect for 6 months, never messed with or changed anything in settings or on homenetwork or on any of the computers that would affect it so why would this issue just pop up.

I just googled SMB and DLNA but even though I know the definition now it is not helping me much.

Sorry for double posting.

I take it you’re doing SMB streams since you’re unsure. Mainly because you’re using VLC as last I remember VLC doesn’t support DLNA natively. Do you have issues transferring large files like a single 30GB MKV container from the cloud to the pc via SMB (windows explorer)?

If you’re very sure the issue just pop up right after the cloud firmware upgrade and no other device on your network is doing its own update e.g. router or apps/windows update, then you might wanna search the forum on how to downgrade to the 1st v4 firmware or maybe even v3 to confirm your findings.

Chuter wrote:

SSMB?

DLNA?

twonky?

Shouldn’t the device just work properly as is like it is suppose to?

Now as a regular user whos just trying to help, I shouldn’t be the one answering this as I have no streaming issues or whatsoever with my 4tb wdmycloud. Therefore you should contact WD support instead. 

Actually I lied VLC was the only media player I did NOT try I just realized it’s not on my system anymore removed when I installed MPCStar.

I use Daum Pot Player http://potplayer.daum.net/ as my main media player.

%90 sure this is some firmware issue after an update.

I was looking into rolling back firmware before I even began posting because I was gonna try that next but from what I read there is no simple way to do that either.

Is the any option or setting I should go double check first on the MYCLOUD, my ISP Modem, or network settings on MyComputer?

Also in the control panel it say there are 2 devices when I only own one is there some sort of conflict maybe why does it say “2 devices”?

This is my Firmware version:

Current Version WDMyCloud v04.00.01-623 : Core F/W

Last Update Thursday, September 25, 2014 5:29:30 AM

Chuter wrote:

Also in the control panel it say there are 2 devices when I only own one is there some sort of conflict maybe why does it say “2 devices”?

This is my Firmware version:

Current Version WDMyCloud v04.00.01-623 : Core F/W

Last Update Thursday, September 25, 2014 5:29:30 AM

Do you mean “2 Cloud Devices”? This is the number of deviced connected to WDMyCloud via the Cloud Access (the ones you generate a code on WDMyCloud Dashboard and enter the code into your mobile WD app).

Before even poking around your ISP modem/mycloud/pc, can you 1st try downloading some huge video files from the cloud share to your pc via the windows explorer. Do it few times see if you hit any issues. Also maybe do this while you’re streaming one of your favourite video.

I have not tried potplayer before it seems to stream via SMB but for the sake of this thread, I got the potplayer 64bit version 1.6.4 installed on win8.1. I have been streaming a 2½hrs 3D MKV for about 1hr 2mins now, no issues so far.

Yes I only show 1 device now I simply trashed the duplicate it said I was connected to 2 MyClods, this was not the issue though. By the way the myCloud looks when I go to settings in the dashboard under content scan it says "Snapshot current media database scan, photos, music, video, other, all have check marks, then it says “DLNA media server” underneath and "music, movies, photos all green check marks.

How do I know if I am using SMB or DLNA or is that auto depending upon the connection or player or something?

Do those green checkmarks beside those under DLNA mean I am using DLNA or just that it is active?

Yes I am NOOBIE!

Also I went into my modem settings before bed and activate UPnP and the connection status of the mycloud changed but as I said before it worked fine for 6 months and that setting had NEVER been touched!!!

(No I do not have time right now to test but I guess before I head out in a minute I can just start transferring or playing something that is long and check see if it played all way through when I get back.)

I have transferred a 95 GB MKV file to the MyCloud awhile back @ around 110,000 kbps on the home network super fast with no issues,… (I do ALL transferring from my PC to Cloud through the windows eplorer over the home newtwork that is all I use it for,… never had issues transferring back and forth, have never connected to it from another location remotely nor maybe ever will I. Just need a massive storage device as my computer is 2x 128 GB SSD’s and a 500GB WDB drive for some storage but I didn’t want that full either.

If there is some question I didn’t answer or information I did not reply with that anyone needs just ask again pls NP., ty.

Appreciate the replies so far and any more that come, thank you.

How do I know if I am using SMB or DLNA or is that auto depending upon the connection or player or something?

It depends on both server and client. The one you’re using with potplayer is via SMB(Samba), the resource gets retrieved from window’s explorer when you open the file from the network shares (btw I’ve finished streaming several movies on potplayer with no issues). It’s strange that you could transfer large files from the shares using the windows explorer but having problem while streaming. Both actually using the same read method from the shares. Can you try streaming with VLC? Though it doesn’t drop any of my streams, I do noticed that potplayer is a bit buggy, crashed couple of times when I’m messing with the advance settings.

If you want to test DLNA, try Windows Media Player. Your mycloud will appear under WMP’s left panel after the “Other Libraries” tree. Note that however DLNA have limited specifications. E.g. by default it doesn’t support MKV, but my smart tv plays MKVs via DNLA with no issues. So this would depends on the DLNA rendering client.