MyCloud Device Disconnects Itself from the Network Daily

I guessing at this point my 2TB drive is losing remote access during sleep mode. It works perfectly all the time while on the same network and fine remote before it sleeps. Then I lose it remotely but not locally???

Since I have posted my complaint the device never went down. Seems there might be a deadlock caused by indexing or something around managing large amount of new data/files.

Daily here the very same struggle!

Thought it was some bug in my system,

but it seems to be that fellow 4 TB My Cloud owners share this odd problem!

I figure I’ll toss my hat in the ring here as well.  I just received my new 4TB WD My Cloud device yesterday.  After being on the network for a few hours, it will drop.  I have two older WD NAS (a My Book Live, and a My Book World Edition), and they’ve been up and running for several years without issues.

I have no idea what is going on with the new My Cloud device.  As I mentioned before it will work fine for a few hours, then suddenly disappear from the network.  If I try to ping the device I get a “Destination Host Unreachable” error.  The only way to get access to it again is to disconnect the power and reconnect.  Then it will work for a couple hours and then stop working again.

Super frustrating and it seems there is no answer.  I’ll give it a couple days and if there is no movement on this issue (seems like everyone’s been waiting for at least 3 weeks now) I’ll just return it and get my money back.

Up until today I’ve been very happy with my Western Digital devices.  This lack of communication with an active community and with so many people reporting the same issue is discouraging.

Dear Sir Bill_S
Back to work …
Run Forest …
whatever …
any information?

I got my WD 2TB Mycloud on sunday. First thing i did was upgrade to the new firmware ,which was released the same day.

I have from day one (now on day 4) had constant dropouts both locally and remote. Power cycle restores everything but this obviously completely defeats the purpose of the product.

I’m now debating whether or not to return this. If they have just released a new firmware which doesn’t fix the issue then it will be a while before they issue a revised firmware upgrade.

This need to be fixed urgently and we need to have some sort of information release detailing the precise issues aroundthe problem and information around how they are going to produce a fix and the timescales for all of this. This has clearly been a festering issue since this was reported back in 2013. I kind of regret not doing proper due diligence rather than just s quick read of some product reviews which by allacounts said it is a good product. If it worked reliably it would be a great product. Has anyone tried the Seagate alternative? 

Ddaffi wrote:

Dear Sir Bill_S
Back to work …
Run Forest …
whatever …
any information?

We’re still testing the next firmware release.  Hopefully, it won’t be too much longer.

Having the same problem… brand new unit, 4T, WDBTL0040HWT. The problem renders the drive useless as the primary purpose of the Cloud function is to provide remote access. 3 weeks since identification of the problem may not seem very long in a development cycle, but obviously WD had a MAJOR problem with release testing!

If I was near you, I’d take that bet.

Hi there All,

in my opinion it is just **[Deleted - Trancer] **unbelievable that you buy a BRAND new device, from a WELL-know company and such things happen. 

I just plugged it in 3-4 days ago at home and could not use it since. I leave for work, want to connect from there - impossible. I get back home, do the restart, everything works, go next day to the office and? SAME [Deleted - Trancer] DIFFERENT DAY. it just simply does not work.

@WD Guys: the product is on the market already almost a year (or so), and you still have hundreds of users having the same problem (hundreds here on the WD community, but I bet thousands worldwide). How the [Deleted - Trancer] someone from your technical department haven’t seen it earlier???

best,

pissed-off client

Finally, I use the following method to make the disconnect problem gone.

After restart the device.

login SSH and type the following two commands

/etc/rc2.d/./S85wdmcserverd stop

/etc/rc2.d/./S86wdphotodbmergerd stop

My device run very well for more than 3 weeks (except that I cannot view photos from “WD photos” iphone app)

Obviously, there is a bug in wdmcserverd and wdphotodbmergerd services.

2 Likes

I’ve got to say I’d hoped that I would not get stuck with this issue.  Well two days owning my 2TB with updated firmware and it’s disconnecting.   I’ve already got a static IP and shutoff sleep.  I’ve got no media sharing turned on and only using this on a home network wired directly from router to PC’s.   The only way I can get it back is by unplugging it.  I’ve got 10 days to return it so if no solution is found in the next 5 or so this thing is going Buh Bye!   Shame on you WD!!   

*Exactly* the same problem.  Netgear R7000 router, Windows 7x64.

I have 4TB. I have exacly the same problems. I am get tired of resetting this device. It’ s not stable. I was expecting to restart yearly. Now I am daily restarting it. And sometimes it’ s still not accessible after restart.

It’ s network is dropping. It seems running with it’ s blue LED, but you can’ t access it.

Please help… 

I just purchased a 3Tb My cloud.  Transfered 100Gb of Photos to it went fine a little slower than expected.  I noticed a few disconects when connecting via Mobile devices. Now I am in CA and my device is in CO and its disconnected from the Net I cannot access. Help please I have important data I want to work on and will not be there for 30 days to hard reset the device. How can remote reset this device…Help Help Please

Hi JosephNg - thanks much for that tip, I stopped those two server processes following your instructions and my load average dropped from over TEN quickly averaging down to 7, a big drop. (Still a high load for this tiny box)  

The processes that are taking the most time are rsync, perl, afpd, and apache.   (afpd is probably apple file protocol daemon)   note that in this process snapshot i have already killed those processes you mentioned but am simultaneously creating a SafePoint to an attached USB 3.0 drive.  Surprised to see so much time allocated to the two rsync commands though.    forgot off the top of my head the command to list processes sorted by cumulative processor time and/or memory but really very much appreciate you pointing this in the right direction.  Will post later to see if this has a lasting impact.  cheers…   nick_nyc

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND

19733 root      20   0 30976 1392  228 D  33.7  0.6 681:31.35 rsync

19731 root      20   0 22180 3952  312 S  24.5  1.7 642:17.58 rsync

18931 root      20   0  9644 1576  492 D   4.6  0.7  14:48.59 perl

378 root      -2   0     0    0    0 D   3.6  0.0   1:46.40 btn_t

17941 root      20   0     0    0    0 D   3.0  0.0  48:51.06 usb-storage

10299 nick      20   0 18260 1484  512 S   1.3  0.6   1:18.65 afpd

17538 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   1.0  0.0   0:00.99 kworker/0:1

4 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.7  0.0  21:44.21 ksoftirqd/0

278 root      20   0     0    0    0 D   0.7  0.0  23:58.64 kswapd0

18007 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.7  0.0  12:50.08 flush-8:16

JosephNg wrote:

Finally, I use the following method to make the disconnect problem gone.

After restart the device.

login SSH and type the following two commands

/etc/rc2.d/./S85wdmcserverd stop

/etc/rc2.d/./S86wdphotodbmergerd stop

My device run very well for more than 3 weeks (except that I cannot view photos from “WD photos” iphone app)

Obviously, there is a bug in wdmcserverd and wdphotodbmergerd services.

BTW - I previously and methodically turned off the DLNA and iTunes server functions from within web interface and set up a static IP (each of these steps one by one waiting a day or more  in between) and none of these solved it, though each did seem to help a bit.  I can report that the drive is already acting more responsive, though since this seems like a memory leak or cpu creep issue it may take some time to confirm.  I also had previously tried raising the unit up a bit using tic-tac boxes under the front and rear rubber feet to encourage air circulation under the unit since it seemed to be getting surprisingly hot.  (that didn’t work at all) 

Scraig wrote:

How can remote reset this device…Help Help Please

You can create VPN tunnelling for SSH. Then you can remote access your device’s dashboard as if you are in your local network.

http://collaboradev.com/2011/08/03/browsing-the-web-through-an-ssh-tunnel-putty-firefox/

Same problem here (2TB).

Installation went fine… file transfers as well, untill disconnecting. First time I turned the power off /on, that worked. But after the second time I Send an email to support (wasn’t aware of this forum yet), then I send a reminder, then somewhere in june I got the response to reset the device and to change the IP into static.

I did it yesterday, but this morning already no connection possible…

WD solve this problem please…!!

We released a firmware update today that should fixed this issue.  I am closing this thread as fixed.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/New-Release-WD-My-Cloud-Firmware-Release-4-00-00-607-7-9-14/m-p/761150