My Cloud media server messing up file names

So I put all the episodes of dragon ball z on the public share to stream to my ps3. Everything seemed to work perfectly until I noticed that episodes 35 through 59 all show up as episode 59. This wouldn’t be a big deal except the those 24 episodes are now all in the wrong order. I’ve tried rescanning and rebuilding the database which led to a weird system error that forced me to power cycle the unit. But once I got everything working again the names were still screwed up. To clarify- If looking at the files from a computer everything is fine and all the names are correct. It’s only when viewing them from my ps3 that they get messed up and its always the same 24 episodes. I have other tv series on the device as well and they all work perfectly. Any Ideas here?

Check the ID3 tags inside the files and make sure they’re correct.

I’m having a similar issue that I’ve described here.  It’s really a nightmare because it negates any of the convenience that you should have when using this device with your episodic T.V. library.  I’ve checked the meta-tags on mine as well and unless there’s more you can do other than right-clicking and going into “properties”, then that’s not the problem.

As I stated in my thread as well, it should be noted that this isn’t an issue when these files are installed directly onto your PS3 hard drive - it’s only a problem when the information is sent from the MyCloud to the PS3 as a media server.  This needs to be fixed somehow because the 4TB was a lot of money to have a fundamental error like this wherein the machine can’t interpret a simple numerical ordering mechanism as a naming convention.

Programs for WD should chime in. Tech support over the phone was useless.

I.M.J. wrote:

I’m having a similar issue that I’ve described here.  It’s really a nightmare because it negates any of the convenience that you should have when using this device with your episodic T.V. library.  I’ve checked the meta-tags on mine as well and unless there’s more you can do other than right-clicking and going into “properties”, then that’s not the problem.

Yes, there’s more to it than that.   The metadata is displayed under TITLE in the DETAILS tab.

I have checked the metadata and it hasn’t resolved the problem.

For example, one of my MP4 files which is titled “S01E01 - Turtle Tracks”, reads exactly the same thing in the “General” tab (S01E01 - Turtle Tracks) when I right click on it and choose “Properties”.  The name is also the same when I choose the “Details” tab.

Is there more to changing the meta data than I know how to do here?  I’m using Windows Vista when browsing the MyCloud where I’ve setup direct links to the drive files through the “My Computer” tab.

Also, your graphic resembles the same meta data that an MP3 has. However, my MP4 metadata is locked out (I don’t even get the Subtitle or Rating fields that you have in your graphic). 

I get Name, “Path”, “Folder Path” and some other stuff that has no fields to edit.

Hmm.  I don’t have any idea how Windows Vista works – but if it’s “Grayed Out,” then Windows isn’t going to let you modify the fields.   It could be that it’s not a tag format that Windows allows you to edit.   

But one thing is sure – Twonky is getting that information from SOMEWHERE in the file – it’s not making it up by itself.

I just deleted all the metadata from one of my TV shows, and it shows:

You might try the free program MP3tag to see what’s there  (Even though it’s named MP3Tag, it also works with MP4 videos.)

Okay, so I was able to solve the problem. Hopefully the resolution below is helpful for those who are using the MyCloud to serve their PS3 or other device working as a middleman.

Some windows updates do not allow for meta data editing on things like MP4. Ridiculous, I know.  So to resolve, I downloaded a meta data updater called “Audio Shell” and have used it succesfully in the last hour to update the tags on various MP4’s. Updating the tags allow for correct sorting by your device - just make sure you update them uniformally of course.

Don’t be intimidated by Audio Shell. Its a small program. After installing you will see it appear on a right click of your media files (much like Move On Boot - it has no interface short of employing it via right click). Once you choose it, you’ll see a very cool and very encompassing editor to add a ton of meta data to your files.

This will fix the MP4 problem, but also allow for editing of your home cam files - a problem I saw that some people were having while trying to figure this one out today.

I hope this helps.