My Cloud 4tb drive looses connection with Network

I have a My Cloud 4tb drive with the latest firmware.  It is setup initially with DHCP, now it uses a static IP based on feedback from warranty helpdesk.  I have a Windows 7 x64 environment.  Trendnet router with latest firmware. Network is all hardwired.

Problem is that the drive disconnects itself from the network after a few hours.   I have turned Sleep Mode OFF.  If I power fail the My Cloud drive, it comes back and everything works perfectly.   Unfortunately it requires a power fail to recover.

Looking for ideas.  Windows 7 thinks the drive which is mapped, is OK until you go to access it.  Once you go to access the drive, windows comes back and says it cannot connect to the drive.  

Note:  I have a mybooklive drive on the same network which does not have any issues at all.

WD Quickview does not show the drive once the connection is lost.  It only shows the mybooklive drive.

The blue light is on solid on the drive.  Firmware: v03.04.01-219

Wayne,

I have the same exact issue!  The only way I can resolve it is to unplug it and let it restart.  I have changed the settings to static, and the sleep mode is off.  Still not good!  Very frustrating.  I’ve repeatedly unplugged and restarted my router, and all my other stuff shows up.  It is a WD MyCloud issue, and I’m not sure what firmware fix is going to enable a network to see it. 

Keep  me posted, I’ll do the same

Mspargo

mike.spargo@gmail.com

Several thoughts.

1. Try a static IP on the PC itself.

2. even though you have a static ip on the cloud, check your router for the dhcp renewal schedule and set it as long as possible (i.e. don’t have renewal set at hourly, set it for a week).

3. check that you don’t have clashing IPs, i.e. dhcp assigning the ip to something else because it thinks it is free. So use out of DHCP range like 192.168.0.199 and allow dhcp to use 10-150.

4, If you have an attached USB, make sure it is not attach when you boot up the cloud. Don’t re-connect the USB until everything settles meaning  much later. 

1. this one is more difficult and as WD says, it can void your warranty. But SSH into the device right after it boots up and kill the following two process.

you can either type 

killall wdnotifier

killall wddispatcher

or kill the services 

/etc/init.d/wdnotifierd stop

/etc/init.d/wddispatcherd stop

and while you are in there… you can also 

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

This is a temporary stop. When you reboot your device, all these services will restart normally. However this might stop the thrashing that may be occuring with your device that may be causing your cloud to drop off the network. If this fixes the drop off, then WD can trace the reasons for it.

The above fixed my device from locking up and dropping off the network. So far I’ve been up and running for over a month without the above services.

Tell me whether any of this helps.

Good luck

Below is a possible on a wireless interface but not with a wired connection.

I just resolved a Windows 8 slow down/ page time out problem on my Netrgear router by changing the router max transfer speed from 300mps to 130mps on my 2.4g interface only (that is the recommended default). My 5g interface works fine at 300mps. I try and use the 5g interface for any large data transfers.  My slow down problem occurred prior to me installing MyCloud but it can be aggravated by any heavy volume transfers. My windows 7 PC did not have slow down issues and it uses the 2.4g interface only. I don’t know why win 7 ran and 8 did not, maybe 8 has a faster interface.

Returned MyCloud to Amazon and reordered a new one per WDC Tech Support.  They saw strange results for the diagnostics that were run.  

The new unit arrived with v03.03.01-156 firmware which is what I am going to leave it at for a while.  It seems to work fine.

Other thing that WDC Support had me do is put it back on DHCP and set a RESERVED ADDRESS on the router for this unit.   

The problem with it going offline is not happening.  It seems to work just fine.  2 days running.