Loss of connection at around 30 minutes while streaming

Here’s my setup:MyCloud 4 TB, most recent firmware

Samsung Smart TV with a WiFi stick via USB

Samsung BluRay Player with built-in WiFi

Here’s the problem:

Whenever I stream a videofile the connection gets lost after round about 30 minutes. After that happens neither TV nor BluRay Player shows the MyCloud anymore. When I power off/on the TV or BluRay the MyCloud shows up again right away.

What I have tried so far:

Assigned static IP in my router for the WiFi stick and the MyCloud

Switched the channel in my router

Turned off “restart on NIC changes” in Twonky advanced settings

I tried connecting TV and router via cable, worked fine. But that’s not an option for me, I have to and want to use WiFi.

I really hope someone here can help me solve this problem. I have to say I’m pretty frustrated with the MyCloud thus far. Besides the money, I spent a lot of time on this already but for now MyCloud is nothing more than an external harddrive now. As far as I can tell there’s a lot of people out there that are having similar issues. There’s lots of other problems with this product still, but streaming via WiFi to my TV is the main feature for me, if this works it makes waiting for fixes of the other issues a lot easier.

Thanks a lot in advance to anybody that helps. If any additional information is needed just let me know.

MzumL wrote:

I tried connecting TV and router via cable, worked fine. But that’s not an option for me, I have to and want to use WiFi.

… I have to say I’m pretty frustrated with the MyCloud thus far. Besides the money, I spent a lot of time on this already but for now MyCloud is nothing more than an external harddrive now. 

Not that I’m sticking sides with WD as god knows, they have a plethora of problems… but WIFI is definitely not a problem with the MyCloud simply for the reason that it doesn’t have WiFI as a feature…

A good possibility is that the wifi ip is being renewed even though you are using a static ip, you might try outside the range of the the dhcp. eg. dhcp range is 192.168.0.10-150, so set your MyCloud to 192.168.0.199.

Another possibility is something is falling asleep, but as you say it works perfectly wired…

Hi Ralphael,

my router won’t let me set a static IP for MyCloud outside the DHCP range.

I kinda have the feeling it’s a problem with Twonky, but who knows?

MzumL wrote:

Hi Ralphael,

my router won’t let me set a static IP for MyCloud outside the DHCP range.

I kinda have the feeling it’s a problem with Twonky, but who knows?

hmmm, your router shouldn’t stop you from setting a static IP as it is set on the MyCloud under  Settings/Network Services/ Network Mode = Static… and enter the values here. Be very careful though on setting the right values; I’ve heard horror stories on having to RMA the unit if set improperly.

But if your MyCloud works through wire… then the problem is with the router when you switch to WIFI since the MyCloud still thinks it is connected via Wired (and it is still wired). Twonky doesn’t change when you switch from Wire to Wifi. 

However, if the IP gets renewed and WIFI do that regularly because you have devices coming in and out. Check your renewal time? Also check for Wifi devices that falls asleep during non-use…

Oh ok, I see.

I have now removed the static IP setting in my router and configured a static IP outside the DHCP range in the MyCloud settings.

The strange thing is: My router shows me that the MyCloud is still connected with a different IP, the old one…

Also: Do I have to activate SSH and FTP access?

you need neither unless you want to to SSH into your MyCloud… and I doubt that you need to FTP into your Cloud.

Good luck… 

After restarting my router the correct IP is shown for the MyCloud, that’s great.

But now my TV doesn’t find the MyCloud anymore, which used to work perfectly fine. I really can’t make sense of that.