Issue streaming using the Android App

Hi all,

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I have a WD 2TB and have been using it very happily to stream pictures, videos and music to my PS3 and android phone. I use my android phone to primarily stream music both at work (external to the network) and in various places in the house (on the network) and this has been working just fine until a couple of days ago.

I used to select a track and the music player would stream the whole album. Now however, rather than the whole screen player I get a play bar and it will only stream the single track I have selected. I then have to go back in and select the next track and so on, which to be frank is a pain. I have also lost the shuffle and loop functions which I used more than I reaslised

Can anybody suggest why this functionality has gone? Also how to get the system to stream a whole album? This functionality was great and I don’t understand why it has gone.

I can still download the tracks and play them with the android music player but that really defeats the point of having a streaming music player from a cloud NAS

Just a quick addendum,

This issues seem to align with the last firmware push to the cloud, but there has been no android update…

Any ideas welcome

I dont know enough about what you where using before but you might want to try these two apps that seems to be working well for my flatemate that I have just set one of these up for… 

Samba network music player - as it says music… 

and… 

Archos video payer - for movies as its got a great front end and picks up both the SMB and UPnp broadcasts… 

I have set it to index on the SMB shares of TVshows and Movies that I set up for her and its working well. 

I am on the lastest firmware and it seems pretty stable to me. 

1 Like

dgcruzing wrote:

I dont know enough about what you where using before but you might want to try these two apps that seems to be working well for my flatemate that I have just set one of these up for… 

Samba network music player - as it says music… 

and… 

Archos video payer - for movies as its got a great front end and picks up both the SMB and UPnp broadcasts… 

I have set it to index on the SMB shares of TVshows and Movies that I set up for her and its working well. 

I am on the lastest firmware and it seems pretty stable to me. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am/was using the WD android software.

Both of the suggested apps work while I’m at home sop solve 50% of the problem but I can’t seem to use for the cloud application, i.e. when I am external to the network.

Thanks for the ideas though

which WD android app? I only know of 2 and didn’t know either one would stream audio

larryg0 wrote:

which WD android app? I only know of 2 and didn’t know either one would stream audio

I am using WD My Cloud 3.1.2, and it does stream both audio and video very well. It’s available on the Play Store just search “wd my cloud” and select the Western Digital Technologies app…

Just to note that I think I have now cured this issue.

I have deleted and fresh installed the app on my samsung smartphone and it now appears to be working properly for MP3s but the WMA file formats has the same problem, but that isn’t an issue I can work around that!!!

Not sure why this has cured it but it has and I am now very happy again

same version I have, just never really looked at it.

for mp3s it seems to open a “seperate” music player that will even continue in the background.

for wma files it just seems to pass them off to android like it does for other files