How to restrict folders for nearby devices

Hello All,

I have just recently purchased a WD My Cloud device and it has been working great. I have transfered all of my files from multiple computers onto, and still have plenty of space left on it

There is one problem I am having though. In my household we have several Android Tablets, Smart Phones , Etc. Is there any way to modify or edit individual folders within your MyCloud to not show up on these devices. We use ChromeCast to watch movies and such on our television, from the tablet, But when we access the video library, EVERY .avi or .mkv or .mp4 file shows up, many which we do not want available to every device. We have the directories broken down into Movies, Work Files, Family Files etc within the cloud, but when you try to edit the folder permisions, within windows 7, it always sets back to allow everything. Is there any way to change the properties of certain folders so that they will not show on every single device connected to the wifi? I have tried everything, making those directories hidden, it always goes back to non hidden, changing the permisions of these directories, and it always resets. Is it possible to make a non public folder within the Hard Drive so that anything you do not want available to all devices can be stuck in there? Or is it possible to make it so that ONLY certain folders are accessible from every device, say if I wanted just “Movies” and “Music” and all of its sub folders to be available. This is a big problem because when going to watch movies on a tablet, we have to search through hundreds of video files to find them. There are many avi files I backed up that are only a few seconds long that are used for applications and work and do not want them being indexed with all the media files I would like to pubicly share within the network. I also noticed it is impossible to make another folder within the Root of the drive. The ones that are there are “Public” “SmartWare” and “TimeMachineBackUp” and the later 2 are empty. Any help on resolving this issue would be greatly apprecaited. 

Hi dredmentia,

Since this is a NAS drive the permission cannot be modified through your regular desktop computer, only logging into the My Cloud interface and changing the shares will work.

There isn’t really a way to restrict what files are served up in subfolders since they are a ‘child’ of the main share. Also, the Public folder will always be shared and cannot be disabled. Probably the best way to prevent everything from showing would be to move what files you don’t want available to a new share that you create in the My Cloud interface, then either turn off media streaming for that share and/or password protect it.

1 Like

Thank you, I have actually been using the device without the WD software but I will see if I can make a new non public share with it. This interface you are talking about is the WD My Cloud desktop software for Windows or is it something different. There is several downloads available there .

It’s not actually any type of software. It is the configuration interface that is built into the drive. You can access it by typing the drives IP address or name into the address bar of your browser. For example http://wdmycloud or http://wdmycloud.local on a Mac computer.

Here is a link to the User Manual.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

Look at, At a Glance: The Dashboard.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)