[APP] Transmission various versions for firmware V4+ (05/2020)

@TDS_D,

I see no CPU usage and about 3Mb memory usage when it stays idle. It depends on individual preferences. If you use it regularly or remote control to it often, it’s best to leave it running without the hassle of starting and stopping every time. Clearing the finished torrents will just do fine.

Let me know if you need help with the script, I can do shell scripts but Perl is my strongest language.

I know I’m picky…

But mine has ~6W idle when before I got ~4W power consuption.

Not sure is this is caused by new firmware (623 vs. 607) or transmission though.

All in all, I got ~13W downloading (with active torrents) which is very reasonable considering the disk size and processor power I have, more so because I download/upload everything at 5x the speed I did before.

My previous system power consuption was ~5-6W downloading and 2-3W idle.

Yes, I’m picky :smiley:

Hello guys!

First of all, thanks for this guide, Nazar78, very helpful!

There is a new firmware update available now.

Firmware Release 4.01.00-408 (10/27/2014)

• Resolved issue of iTunes is unable to connect
  • Resolved issue of Shellshock (CVE-2014-6271, CVE-2014-6277, CVE-2014-6278, CVE-2014-7169, CVE-2014-7186, CVE-2014-7187) bash security vulnerability
  • Resolved issue of full factory restore process is slower
  • Supports media file name search in WD My Cloud mobile app
  • Supports media view filtering in WD My Cloud mobile app

So, if I will update, will this break my existing transmission?

Thanks!

Yes it will break any mods to the nas. You will then have to reinstall. Backup all the mods 1st, then you can restore them after the upgrade.

Nazar78 wrote:

Yes it will break any mods to the nas. You will then have to reinstall. Backup all the mods 1st, then you can restore them after the upgrade.

Is there a quick way to backup/restore or it’s better to reinstall using the guide again?

JackTheHamster wrote:

Is there a quick way to backup/restore or it’s better to reinstall using the guide again?

Reinstalling from the guide is a zippy process, just a mere copy & paste.

You can skip these two steps since you’re reinstalling and replace with the " Restore" below:

• Cycle the daemon once to produce the settings.json file (enter all in a single line)
  • Remove the RPC restriction from the file settings.json to have unrestricted lan logins

For the settings and data part, tar them elsewhere off the rootfs, after you upgraded and complete the guide, untar them back.

Backup :

tar zcf /shares/Public/transmission.tar.gz ~/.config/transmission-daemon;

Restore :

tar xf /shares/Public/transmission.tar.gz -C /;
1 Like

someone try on Firmware Release 4.01.00-408 (10/27/2014)

does it work good?

No I haven’t upgraded to 4.01.00-408 yet (finding a good time to upgrade and restore all mods), but this guide should work with it as the firmware sticks to the 64K page size memory…

“should” is not enough :smiley: I have already bricked a wd my cloud :smiley:  

@iluvatar,

“should” is because I extracted the rootfs image from 4.01.00-408 and tested.

Installing the transmission deb from this guide again “should” not brick your wd my cloud as it’s only installing binaries not related to the system eg. libraries. How did you brick it? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

long story short I just play with apt-get, my fault. If you say “test” for me is enough :wink: thx for the package I will try that asap!

everything is up and running :wink: Thanks for the great guide!

The dropbox link is not working for me. Can you reupload please?

Also, thanks for this guide :slight_smile:

The link to deb packages is broken.

Nazar78 Can you please update it?

Hi guys,

I’ve updated the 1st post with a new generic online installer (-:

Hi nazar does this still really work on the new firmware whats just been released … what it is am thinking about get the 4tb my cloud drive and a would love to use it as a torrent / seed box

Thanks michael

Hi Michael,

Yes this guide works on any V4+ firmwares (not older V3), I’m using the 4TB V4 firmware as well.

1 Like

wow man…that’s awesome :)))
thank you so much! 

красавчег!

Thanks verry much nazar how hard is it setup or is all automated after a paste the url and hit enter … and one more thing run torrents off it and seeding does slow the my cloud down or can u stream full bluray and download torrents at same time

Thanks again michael

Hi pompey,

NP~ enjoy…

Hi Michael,

Now it’s all automated with the new online installer. Just get the credentials (user/pass), paste them with the installer url, hit enter.

This is a small device, does not have that much horse power 600mhz dual core 256mb ram. But I still can stream hd/3d while torrenting.