[GUIDE] Patch the Heartbleed OPENSSL vulnerability

This issue has been resolved in the latest MyCloud firmware update, please refer to… http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/New-Release-WD-My-Cloud-Firmware-Release-3-04-01-230-4-21-14/td-p/724502

More Information about Heartbleed http://heartbleed.com/

WD have released a statement at http://www.wdc.com/global/products/featuresol/?id=HBBug

Those not comfortable running these commands are asked to simply disable remote access while WD work out a fix

Test if you are now vulnerable at http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/ using your IP address and port 443 or 9444

I recommend testing both ports

Download a copy of PuTTY from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Login to your MYCLOUD using your MYCLOUD network name or IP address and port 22 with connection type SSH

Now copy and paste the following

wget -O openssl_1.0.1e-2+deb7u6_armhf.deb goo.gl/JPGnpI

wget -O libssl1.0.0_1.0.1e-2+deb7u6_armhf.deb goo.gl/ne9W6J

dpkg -i openssl_1.0.1e-2+deb7u6_armhf.deb

dpkg -i libssl1.0.0_1.0.1e-2+deb7u6_armhf.deb

A blue screen will come up, just hit enter 2 times

IMPORTANT

Reboot the MYCLOUD to restart all the services using OPENSSL

reboot

Test if you are now patched at http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/ using your IP address and port 443 or 9444

Again, please test both ports

Enjoy a patched system!

8 Likes

will this void the warranty?

That’s really a question for Western Digital, but technically yes… But with the vulnerabilty being as bad as it is I highly recommend everyone does it as who knows how long it will take WD to release a patched firmware

Thank You nfodiz … very much appreciated :slight_smile:

I wish WD would post ANYTHING on this matter and especially if SSH and doing this mode voids our warranties. It would be awesome if they would offically offer a fix for this instead of leaving it up to us to fix :frowning:

I have submitted a ticket on this matter … we’ll see what happens.

@SectorGZ you’re welcome and I agree, a security update like this should not void our warranties

UPDATE

I shortened the URLS so it is just be a matter of copy/paste now

It’s great that people can help with these fixes, even before WD can get it done.  I see that they have made an official statement about this problem on the main page of the site.

http://www.wdc.com/global/products/featuresol/?id=HBBug

I do not necessarily need remote access at this time, on my local network it is working just fine, so I have turned off remote access until they get a fix, but I’m not holding my breath that they will hurry up with a fix.  After the remote access issue I had with my device for about a week or so, I don’t want to lose my warranty by fixing it myself.  If there are more serious problems in the future, I want to have the ability to have it fixed with the warranty I have.  Each of these issues are piling up on my decision to not purchase another WD product in the future though, unless they start reacting and fixing these problems faster in the future.

nfodiz:  Quick correction recommendation:   Many users won’t be using port 9444.   Mine does only because I booted it after my My Book Live – otherwise it comes up on 443.  :)

1 Like

Port 443 scan report no issue, it timed out, but port 9444 reported vulnerability to this issue.

thank you nfodiz… your patch is immensely appreciated… kudo for you.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

nfodiz:  Quick correction recommendation:   Many users won’t be using port 9444.   Mine does only because I booted it after my My Book Live – otherwise it comes up on 443.  :)

Thanks so much for the heads up on that Tony, I have updated the guide to mention testing both ports

I did the same as you and had booted my MYCLOUD after my MBL :slight_smile:

Blah33 wrote:

What do the errors mean and why does the newer version not show?

Thank you 

The warnings are just dpkg complaining that there are no manifests present for those packages.

The package is not a new version.   It’s still 1.0.1e, just patched.

You can see that it’s now the patched file by doing the following

openssl version -a

Notice the build date is now April 8th 2014

WDMyCloud:~# openssl version -a

OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013

built on: Tue Apr 8 10:39:25 UTC 2014

1 Like

Can I patch if I’m using a Mac?

Yes, on a MAC I believe there is a build in app called Terminal, you would use that in place of PuTTY to login to your MYCLOUD

I have no clue with regards to logging into My Cloud with a Mac utilizing the terminal app. Is there a tutorial on this?

Blah33 wrote:> What do you personally think about the situation that apt-get upgrade for the rest of the kernel has not been done by WD and is not possible for the buyer?

I think the presumption that it SHOULD work is bizarre.  

apt only aids dependency resolution for things that are part of the linux distro or things installed via apt itself.

There are so many dependencies in these purpose-built embedded systems which are outside the scope of apt and dpkg dependency checking that to think ‘apt-get upgrade’ should work is silly.

While Python / Perl / PHP / Apache / etc. packages are subject to dependency checking with apt, the actual scripts that use these libraries and/or their configuration files are NOT checked for dependency.

And after all that, you have other third party packages (that are not “apted”) and custom-built binaries to worry about.

So, yeah, you go do an apt-get upgrade on a NAS and all the internal scripts or configurations that were written on the presumption of specific binary versions can (and WILL) break.

RoldGold wrote:

I have no clue with regards to logging into My Cloud with a Mac utilizing the terminal app. Is there a tutorial on this?

I’m not a MAC user but I can give it a shot…

First you need to enable SSH in the MYCLOUD dashboard (settings/network/toggle SSH on)

On OS X, open your Applications folder, then open the Utilities folder.

Open the Terminal Application

At the prompt type

ssh root@YOUR MYCLOUD IP (obviously replace YOUR MYCLOUD IP with the IP address of your MYCLOUD)

When asked for the password type

welc0me (That’s a zero not a capital O)

Appologies in advance if these instructions are a bit wrong

Now just follow the guide and you should be all set

nfodiz wrote:

RoldGold wrote:

First you need to enable SSH in the MYCLOUD dashboard (settings/network/toggle SSH on)

At the prompt type

ssh root@YOUR MYCLOUD IP (obviously replace YOUR MYCLOUD IP with the IP address of your MYCLOUD)

Do you feel this is a risk that needs to be taken seriously? I’m concerned with my warranty, should I wait for WD to come out with a patch?

nfodiz wrote:

RoldGold wrote:

At the prompt type

I’m being prompted with this in terminal: 

RSA key fingerprint is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx bunch of random numbers and letters,

Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? 

nfodiz wrote:

RoldGold wrote:

At the prompt type

Terminal will not allow me to enter the password?