Firmware 04.00.00-607, running btsync or unison instantly returned "Killed"

So I upgraded to the 4.00 firmware, from whatever the last 3.x release was.  The only reason I did this is because there were SOO many problems with the old firmware, resulting in me being unable to access content from my Android devices more often than not, along with connectivity issues that I actually had to write a script to work around, they were so bad.  I had this silly hope that maybe this firmware would be better.  

Well, it actually is.  HOWEVER, it also **bleep**.  I use Linux, and as such, with jack for WD support (even though they run their box on Linux, which rankles a bit) I explored other alternatives to keep things in sync between my two desktops, my laptop, and my new shiney magic box.  I found Unison, and have been playing with that for a couple of weeks.  Works well, although with the amount of data I have, it appears to be ungodly slow.  I’m hoping that’s only for the initial runs to sync everything up, but I guess we’ll see.  

Ever since updating the firmware, I’m unable to use unison via ssh.  I have to physically mount the MyCloud to my computer (can’t use NFS either, since there’s no way to access password protected data, and Samba is just a mess of errors, so I’m down to using sshfs, which slows things up with encryption) and run unison from my local machine as if it’s just syncing two local files.  This is doable, but annoying.  

When I ssh into the MyCloud device and try to run Unison directly, even just unison -version, I get the message “Killed” almost instantly.  I decided I’d try out btsync and see how it works.  Found that it gets the same message.  I’ve looked through dmesg, and various other system logs, and can find NO reason whatever why these processes are being killed.  I also find no mention of the system killing them.  I’m left to conclude, since this didn’t happen before, that Western Digital changed something on the system with the latest upgrade to actually force-kill application based on some sort of logic.  

I need this to stop.  Since Western Digital can’t be bothererd to provide software for use of their product with Linux systems, I would think at a minimum they would be nice enough to not actively screw people that are trying to use their stuff with a *nix environment, but I guess you’d be wrong.  I’m about a minute away from just blowing away the software on the box entirely and creating my own install of everything I need to run it as a stand alone NAS Server without any WD funk.  The only problem is the amount of time it might take me to hunt down drivers and such, assuming they used proprietary code, which I’m nearly certain of.  

Anyone have some suggestions for me?  I’m at a loss as far as where to look, and what to try to find, in order to kill whatever process it is that’s killing my processes, and right now, keeping things in sync is a bloody nightware for me.  NOT what I wanted when I bought this thing, at all.  

Please take a look at my today posts regarding Optware and building packages for the new firmware. I’m also facing these problems and trying to figure out how to solve them.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Optware-on-MyCloud/td-p/767759 has information regarding a similar problem.  Posting to keep the isuses linked in order to hopfully share information.  

I’d really like to be able to use software that I install without having to downgrade the firmware back to the old broken **bleep** that was such a pain in the arse before.  

Please, help us run the BTSync on WD disk. The off-site synchronization was the ONLY reason I bought the WD MyCloud disk. It is not used through WD cloud, nor even directly as LAN disk. Bittorrent Sync is ingenious program. I would like to use it on the MyCloud. Due to numerous security risks downgrading the FW is not very good idea.

Sorry, no help.  I downgraded my firmware to one that wasn’t a pain in the butt, then tried BT sync as well as csync.  What I found was that BT Sync didn’t work nearly as well as it should, and seems to have a hard time actually telling you what percentage of sync was completed.  Even on a computer direct connected to the same switch as the MyCloud, it went DAYS and I saw no noticible difference.  It was a real waste of energy.  

csync was much faster, and much better about completing things reasonably quickly, but seemed to have issues keeping organized enough to maintain a sync relationship with multiple computers.  For instance, sync the MyCloud to one computer, then the other computer, then try to sync the first computer again and it’ll think ALL files had changed.  I spent a lot of time digging to try to see what the issue may be, and finally decided fixing that problem was more trouble than it was worth.  

I now use a script I created that utilizes rsync to keep my machines and the MyCloud device in sync.  I suggest, if you’re using Mac or Windows, that you explore the Western Digital tools that are provided to see if they meet your needs.  If not, you’re probably better off designing a custom solution. 

The sad think about BTSync Bittorrent told me in their forum they’re not gonna support WD stuff for the v 1.4 due the technical modifications that WD made. BT is focused in developing the BTSync more than trying to fix/workaround the changes WD made this time.

At this moment I’m running the old 3.x FW version on My Cloud because I’ve been using BTSync for sometime to sync my files from multiple computers and devices and I’m not willing to sacriffice that. After all that’s why I bought the MyCloud. I also have a MyBook Live and at least it is working fine with BTSync v1.4.

The problem with BTSync looks like it’s more than the need to rebuild the package. You can check the thread here:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/30993-rebuild-required-for-wd-mycloud-fw-4/

I’d be glad to know what did WD made to screw third party procecess execution and why…

Also having this trouble, was using btsync to replicate data between multiple MyClouds in remote locations. Very annoyed by the 4 firmware. btsync is “Killed” upon starting.

Still hoping to find a work around or else I’ll end up regretting buying this product … NetGear is building products that support btsync.

Roll back to 3.x firmware.  4.x **bleep** at life, and appears to be the WD attempt at limiting what the user can do with the box in order to maintain more control over what they’re allowing to be done on their machine.