Find out FW version from .deb file?

I would like to flash an older FW on the WD cloud drive. I seem to have kept my FW file but the file name only says “updateFile.deb”. My mistake on thje filename part.

Is there a way i can find out what firmware version that is?

Make a copy of it, “Un-deb” the copy and look inside.

http://www.g-loaded.eu/2008/01/28/how-to-extract-rpm-or-deb-packages/

i extracted it and looked at the files, none refers to a version. I didnt/couldnt look inside the rootfs.img file. will try to extract that. i tried to open it with  “ext4 extractor” but it didnt work.

On another note.

How do i first restore an older FW without deleting data.

Does the script “updateFirmwareFromFile.sh” if run manually specifying the FW.deb, run the format? I looked in the script but i see no reference of a format or calling another script that would 

I know that on an existing and running drive you can run “/usr/local/sbin/factoryRestore.sh noreformat”

alirz1 wrote:

i extracted it and looked at the files, none refers to a version. I didnt/couldnt look inside the rootfs.img file. will try to extract that. i tried to open it with  “ext4 extractor” but it didnt work.

Yes, you’ll need to extract the image.  The version should be in /etc/version…

IIRC, you can “mount” that image file as a disk image using mount -o loop (options)

Thank Tony. You’re great help as always.

What about a manual FW downgrade. Would the script mentioned above format the drive?

Do i still need to move my data to Public?