File datetime lost on remote transfer

Just finished setting up a new my cloud 4tb. Firmware updated to v03.03.01-156.

Setup went smooth and it seems like a really nice product!

One thing. When browsing video clips shared with dlna I noticed that there is no thumbnails on my samsung f8005 led even though they are present when browsing with xbmc. I know thumbs are possible, because they are present when I use the same tv to look at content shared with my serviio dlna server. Hope it can be fixed by firmware in the future.

Anyway… I’m still investigating the various functions and options, kind of doing each of my usecases one at a time.

1 use case : copy some content.

File dates and time is very important for me, so I checked that when I copy files on my local network, date and time of the files is properly kept. All ok.

2 use case : remote filetransfer.

When I drag a file into the pc software at a remote physical location the file date and time (created,modified,accessed) changes to current datetime and the original date is forgotten. This might be logical and totally fine for some, but it’s a complete showstopper for me.

The idea was to primarely use this device for remote filetransfer, so now I’m kinda stuck.

When I use ftp software to transfer files from and to a traditional pc, I’m spoiled by an option that preserves the date and time of the files and folders. I use filezilla.

I know that’s it’s possible to enable a ftp or ssh server on the my cloud, which might solve my issue, but the device have to be located at a place with no option for knowing remote ip or specific port access, so that won’t be the solution for me and the allways on cloud proxy access was what got me into this in the first place.

Also my first remote filetransfer actually failed halfways, but I hope that was a one timer as there was no resume option.

Technically I do understand why the date/time thing happens, but even though it might seem like a special case I have here, I still think it’s worth considering that the dates are different in the two ways of copying, and that would argument for making it optional.

Does anyone think there will ever be a preserve datetime option or fix in a firmware update for this device so I can keep it?

Best Regards,

Mads

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no option to save the files transferred remotely with the original created date

You should post this in the Ideas Board.

http://community.wd.com/t5/Personal-Cloud-Ideas/idb-p/cloud_idea

1 Like