Cannot connect to MyCloud after setting up WiFi Extender on network

Hi everyone, I am having an issue with my 4TB MyCloud hard drive after i purchased a WiFi Extender. I wanted to move the HDD in to my room as the Router is placed in a different room, so i got a WiFi extender and put one end in to my room to move the HDD there.

I used to have my drive connected to my router and i could access it fine. Now, i recently purchased a WiFi extender (TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot )

The URLL to the product im referring to is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DHB2T44?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I plugged one end to my router and then the main part is in my bedroom. I have connected and set the product up properly and it works fine. I have now connected my MyCloud drive to the WiFi Extender using the cable and I can see the drive on my computer (OSX), it shows up but when i click it to open it, it tries to connect for a short while then it fails to connect and i cant access the drive. I can however still see the drive on my computer as well as in iTunes so it is there on the network, just cant connect. When i click the ‘Connect As’ button in the top right of the Finder also same thing, a few seconds of waiting and it fails to connect.

A few days ago i switched off both the router and the hard drive and found that i could connect, however it seems to decide when it wants to work and when it doesnt, as in the past few days i have found again that its not able to connect to the drive. I have tried connecting the drive to my computer directly using a LAN cable and it works fine, i think the problem is with the setup, since im using a WiFi Extender i think there seems to be some confusion where the hard drive and computer cannot communicate.

I also have a HP Wireless Printer, which after setting up this wifi extender the printer gets confused because it finds 2 wifi networks with the same SSID and Password and so it doesnt work, for me to use the printer i need to switch the wiwi extender off and then use it. Im letting you know about this as i thought maybe it can help fix the problem here with the hard drive.

I would really appreciate any advice on getting this fixed, its really hurting my feelings :frowning:

Kind Regards

P

** UPDATE **

OK something strange. I am setting up my sisters laptop for her and have just finished reinstalling the OS and everything from scratch, its a Macbook.

After loading the OS i just found the MyCloud drive available in the Finder, and i am able to connect to the drive through the laptop and access the Public folder.

However, trying to connect on my own iMac which is the main computer i setup the MyCloud drive on i cannot connect!

I also just tried on my mums Windows laptop and again was able to connect to the public folder with no problems.

Does this narrow down the problem to something else more specific?

I believe this is a configuration issue. Normally, a WiFi Extender is added to your main network and you only see a unique SSID for the whole network. Try connecting your WD My Cloud to your router with a static IP configuration, and then proceed to check your extender’s settings. Getting the printer to work would also have a positive effect by following the same procedure.

1 Like

since this appears to be an issue with the extender configuration I would check with there support

even when the configuration is worked out you may have issues using the powerline adapters, it may be reliable in some cases but defienently not all. If you can get a network cable in place it would be a better choice

Thank you very mich fro the quick reply and helpful advice.

The extender has two options, one is to Extend the range of the original WiFi signal, which seems to create 2 network IDs with the same information, the other option is to duplicate the original network.

So are you suggesting that the solution lies in the settings for the WiFi Extender device or my main router?

** UPDATE **

OK something strange. I am setting up my sisters laptop for her and have just finished reinstalling the OS and everything from scratch, its a Macbook.

After loading the OS i just found the MyCloud drive available in the Finder, and i am able to connect to the drive through the laptop and access the Public folder.

However, trying to connect on my own iMac which is the main computer i setup the MyCloud drive on i cannot connect!

I also just tried on my mums Windows laptop and again was able to connect to the public folder with no problems.

Does this narrow down the problem to something else more specific?