Occasional Advisor
bwarecs
Accepted Solution

Can't map to Private Share in Windows Explorer

I can map to the \Public\ share no problem, by typing \\WDMyCloud\Public\ in Windows Explorer.  I created a new Public share called "Stuff", and can map to it by typing \\WDMyCloud\Stuff.

I then created a new share called "Private", then turned Public to Off.  I then selecting my user account (I'm the admin) and granted Full Access.  When I try to navigate to that share (\\WDMyCloud\Private), I receive a security prompt to enter my username and password.  I have tried every combination, but nothing seems to work.

What username / password am I supposed to put into this prompt?  I've tried my WD Mycloud email and password, I've tried my email and "MyCloud Access Code", etc.

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Re: Can't map to Private Share in Windows Explorer

You use the username you defined in the Cloud.  Not an e-mail address; it's just a username.

Then you use the password assigned to that user.

If you have already connected to a PUBLIC share, you will not be able to connect to a PRIVATE share as that's a limitation of Windows.

You'll need to disconnect all connections to the Cloud, then try connecting to the Private share first.    Then you can access public shares after that.

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Occasional Advisor
bwarecs

Thanks TonyPH!  That was my issue (well, that and it required a reboot).

To get this to work, I had to do all of the following:

- Disconnect any driver already mapped to the WDMyCloud device

- Close wd2go site (and all other open browser windows)

- I cleared out "Recent Places" in Windows 7, and deleted all my browser history

- I rebooted my PC.  After doing all of the above, I still could not map the drive until I rebooted.

Once I rebooted, I was able to add the network drive and enter my credentials (username, not email, and password set through the drive's user interface).

Occasional Visitor
PhilipCDavich

Finally!!! I've been looking for an answer to this problem that actually worked. This was it.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD