Another MyCloud disconnect problem

While I was happy to find this community, and see that this problem has been reported many times, it does not appear to have been corrected.  I am now frustrated beyond belief.  I have a WD MyCloud 6 TB purchased in October, 2014 - about four months ago.  Until the past few weeks, it has been running as a backup drive with no problems.  Since then, it will loose network connectivity after an hour to several hours.  I was just accessing the drive by the browser access, lost connection while getting data.  Either unplugging the drive or cold booting the entire system - router, computer and drive, will restore connectivity for a while.

I have firmware V04.01.02-417 installed

Running on a Win 7 64b system

Router is ASUS RT-AC68U with the drive plugged into a port on the drive

I have tried with both dynamic and static address without change

I have the various services all turned off

I only use it as a backup drive, with several shares for several computers.

Is there any other technique I might try?  This looked like an ideal solution to local backup; it is now an incredible waste of time rebooting and worrying about it.

Thanks to all who can help

Marc Leavey

I would stay with the static IP and be sure this is out of the DHCP pool

When it “disconnects” what are you using to determine this?

can you still ping the mycloud?

can you acces it is file explorer? or the desktop app

what are the 3LEDs doing while disconnected?

Thanks for the reply

By “disconnect” I mean that I cannot … 

• read any data from the disc or get a directory lisitng

• ping times out

• Web browser based wdmycloud/UI does not connect

• desktop app does not connect

The front LED is blue during all of this, and the two in the back are green, one is blinking

[I am at work and responding by memory …]

Look forward to any thoughts or things to try 

Okay, weird update

So the drive has been running for the past day, and I can access all of the files without problem through a Windows Explorer window.  Can access from any computer on the network, no problem.

BUT … neither the desktop MyCloud app nor a web browser directed to wdmycloud/UI will access the drive.

Is this a clue?  Any thoughts on this one?

Many thanks to the group for listening.

the mycloud is very low powered device so adding files, rebuild database, crash recovery (I see you puilled the plug above) can all make it appear virtually dead

I have not seen it get so bad that a ping dosn’t respond before so this is odd.

do you use SSH? if so run top and post the results. the q key will exit top. also enter ps -ef | grep apache and post this also

larryg0 wrote:

the mycloud is very low powered device so adding files, rebuild database, crash recovery (I see you puilled the plug above) can all make it appear virtually dead

I have not seen it get so bad that a ping dosn’t respond before so this is odd.

do you use SSH? if so run top and post the results. the q key will exit top. also enter ps -ef | grep apache and post this also

I have seen this no ping issue with my drive several times in the past. I have opened threads on it.

There doesnt seem to be any fix.logs dont show anything. A power cycle is the only way to bring the drive back online when that issues occurs. So i hear the OP and his problems but unfortunaltely i have no helpful comments.

Are you using a static IP? if not that would be the 1st thing to try.

what are the 3 LEDs doing when it disconnects?

many of the disconnects I have seen posted are actually just some services. with no response even to ping it make it difficult to diagnose

if it happens again try reseting the router to see if it helps

larryg0 wrote:

Are you using a static IP? if not that would be the 1st thing to try.

what are the 3 LEDs doing when it disconnects?

many of the disconnects I have seen posted are actually just some services. with no response even to ping it make it difficult to diagnose

if it happens again try reseting the router to see if it helps

Rebooting the router is not the solution or even a way to determine the cause of the issue. THe fact that other devices on the router fuction without any problem and only the WD drives becomes unreachable says it all.

There is some ghostly stuff going on here with the drives.

the last time i encountered this poblem.

The leds in the back were normal, green and green blinking, no ping to drive IP (static from the router), no dashboard at all.

Many thanks to all who have chimed in.

As of this morning, remained online, with full access to the files and pings fine.  Just does not respond to either browser or app dashboard.  I am tempted to plug pull and reboot, but don’t want to mess up what is now working, even at the level at which it is working.

I don’t run SSH.  I have read about it here on the board, but don’t know much about it.  Is there a quick education to the program, what version to run (Googling reveals several - free and paid); why I want to run it and what does it get me.  And would it help?

I look forward to your responses.

depends on your comfort level. it can be helpful but also very unforgiving. if you are confortable with even minor operation in it i would have said run reboot if it was enabled instead of pulling the plug which should be a last resort. generally someone here could give commands to try but as with anything online proceede with caution when following advice here

If you decide to enable it putty is a free SSH client that man people including myself use

for the dashboard not responding issue how long has this been? and big uploads? restores? etc recently? this generally works ok once things catch up so I would try to wait at least a day after any of these operations before pulling the plug. The other day I actually had apache stop, if this is the case without SSH pulling the plug is the only option

mines down again as we speak!!

no response to ping or anything…

Solid blue LED on the front. Green leds in the back.

Just want to add that looks to something like a kernel panic on the drive. While I was in the above scenario,
I first tried unplugging and re plugging the network cable into the drive but that didn’t do anything to make it reachable over the network
I then rebooted my router twice to see if the drive would recover, but as it seems, it never connect to the network again. This tells me that the OS on the drive as crashed, halted or something

Only when I power cycle the drive, it came back online.

Just to keep this alive. Updated firmware and still a problem

I had another thread here where I posted a script that would run via corncob…the script is meant to check the drive for network connectivity and if the check fails it should reboot itself… Look for that script and try to use it see if it helps you…
I haven’t run into this problem so far again so can’t say if the script works as intended or not…

Edit here’s the script

#!/bin/bash

test_host=netstat -nr | grep "UG" | awk '{ print $2}' | xargs ping -q -w 1 -c 1 | grep "received" | awk '{ print $4 }'
if [“$test_host” == “0”] || [-z “$test_host”] ;
then

echo $(date) “service networking restart” >> /shares/data/no_ip_reboot_output.txt

/etc/init.d/networking restart

sleep 60

test_host=netstat -nr | grep "UG" | awk '{ print $2}' | xargs ping -q -w 1 -c 1 | grep "received" | awk '{ print $4 }'

if [“$test_host” == “0”] || [-z “$test_host”] ;

then

echo $(date) “Rebooting” >> /shares/data/no_ip_reboot_output.txt

shutdown -r now

fi

fi

Running on a Win 7 64b system

Router is ASUS RT-AC68U with the drive plugged into a port on the drive

QUESTION:

1. What is “Drive plugged into a port on the drive” ?

Do you mean USB drive attached to the USB port of the My Cloud device?

1. What file system is the USB drive formatted as?

TRY THIS:

1. Remove the USB drive

2. Disable Remote / Cloud Access

3. Disable iTunes Server

4. Disable DNLA Service

5. Reboot the My Cloud

6. Attach the USB drive to MyCloud

7. Login to the UI

8. Create a NEW Safepoint backup and start it

Report the results when completed.

Another frustrated user chiming in. If so many people are having the exact same issue, why can’t it be fixed? I’m sure it can be replicated. Obviously it’s not an issue with any single router, firewall, switch or computer. My device is the 8TB EX2 on firmware 1.05.36, but also had the issue on 1.05.34 which was the impetus for me updating this weekend.

Static IP on same subnet as all other devices. All media sharing turned off except for file sharing. Device sleep turned off. No apps installed. I’ve tried countless Cat5e cables, different ports, changing the static IP, etc. Front LEDs are blue. network port is all green with flashing activity.

So lets give one of my old post a try.  

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Call-me-maybe-WD-Connectivity-Issues/m-p/881610#M35919

Let me know either here or on that post whether it works.

If not, my other guess would be to do a full reset. I’ve read in this forum that sometimes after a firmware update the Cloud requires a full reset to work. 

1 Like

Thank you for that detailed post.  I will try it tomorrow, and see what happens.  Will get back to you.

So I established a DHCP IP address, and all was fine … for about two hours.  I cannot reach the control panel or the drive at this point, but I can ping the MyCloud without problem.  I’m open for ideas.  Factory reset for the MyCloud?  Sledge Hammer?

drleavey wrote:

So I established a DHCP IP address, and all was fine … for about two hours.  I cannot reach the control panel or the drive at this point, but I can ping the MyCloud without problem.  I’m open for ideas.  Factory reset for the MyCloud?  Sledge Hammer?

sledge hammer and post up pics :stuck_out_tongue:

well you could try pulling the plug on the router or whomever is giving out the ips to do a reset.

Also try a new router by buying one, trying it out for a day to see if you can isolate it to the router itself. If the router is from the isp, once you determine that it is their fault you can then hound them for a new one.

Now the other thing that I didn’t mention in my post is the media scan activities. It could be one of the cause for a non-responsive Cloud. You might want to give it a shot

SSH into the cloud

then type

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

let us know what happens afterwards and if you do use a sledge hammer, please post up pics!!