Accessing My Cloud from Linux outside home network?

It seems that WD2go is available for Mac and Windows platforms only, can you share what solutions you use in order to get to your NAS when outside network to which My Cloud is connected?

Hello,

Please know that Linux is not a supported OS but check the link below to see if it is useful for you.

How to access data using FTP on a WD Personal Cloud drive and other WD NAS devices

Thank you for response! I’m aware that Linux isn’t offically supported which is sad especially considering that WD My Cloud actually using Debian so as a small reward to open-source community for using fruits of work of the people WD could add some basic support for Linux too, it’s a small price to pay but big step towards community. Anyway it’s just my IMHO and it’s up to WD what to do with his products.

Regarding suggested link FTP is pretty vulnerable protocol so it’s not the best option to make it open to world, I’m aware that it’s possible to setup SFTP somehow(didn’t research into this deep), but thought that some users of this device can share how they solve that problem.

SFTP is less vulnerable only during transfers, but there’s still risk of getting brute forced attacks when it’s opened to the world.

This is not supported by WD. But if you really know what you’re doing, enable ssh from the WD Dashboard settings then immediately login and change the default root password i.e. type passwd. For external access, port forward any one free port of your choice i.e. TCP 2222 on your router to the internal IP of the mycloud of TCP port 22 where the sshd listens to. To access, ssh/sftp to your external ip e.g. ssh -p2222 root@your-external-ip-or-host.

1 Like

Thanks Nazar78! What about NFS, have you tried to password protect it as from what I understand by default you can only access Public shares if mount it?

CIFS/NFS are usually used within local network. If need to access them externally, setting up a VPN could help.

1 Like