2 TB MyCloud drive not responding

Hi there,

2 Days ago I loaded some 20GB jpgs to the drive WDBCTL0020HWT. Since then I have found the drive to be frozen twice and not responding to ping, app access or GUI login.

A power off/on appears to be doing the trick. But after a few hours the drive is unresponsive again.

Recent FW was originally loaded (Dec 18th)  and the LED at the RJ45 gate is lit when the drive is frozen.

Further the HD sounds to be spinning when it is frozen.

Please advise a possible cure and if there is a log which can reveal the root cause.

Thanks in advance, Anders from Denmark

Hello,

try a quick factory restore on the drive to verify if this will help.

How to restore a WD My Cloud or WD My Cloud EX4 Personal Cloud drive to factory default settings 

Hello Anders - did you get to the bottom of your issue? I recently bought the 3TB drive and immediately updated to firmware WDMyCloud v03.04.01-219 (The latest available as of 17th March 2014).

I have just finished uploading 800MB of videos, photos, music and other files and it claims to have completed the Content Scan successfully. However after a few hours (I don’t know how many yet - but certainly less than 24) the drive becomes unresponsive with exactly the same symptoms you describe.

I wonder if there is a memory leak issue or an unrecoverable error occurs at the point the drive should enter powersave?

Did the proposed solution (quick restore to factory defaults - which I’m hoping corresponds to a ‘System Only’ Factory restore) do the job? I’m not sure I really want to have to go round the complete upload loop again if it requires a data wiping restore option and this isn’t the solution!

Kind regards, Paul

So this post seems to indicate the cure for the random disconnect, however do be careful with setting a fixed ip as if you enter it incorrectly, sometimes there is no recovery even with a reset. 

Workaround for Disconnect Problem - Works for all my and my dealers clients

Also another possible cure is to turn off the energy saver mode.

good luck

1 Like

Thanks Ralphael - that was an interesting post.

So I’ve reduced the size of the DHCP pool on my router and statically assigned the MyCloud with an address outside that range. I’ve left powersave on.

Overnight the drive entered powersave (I think a first for me) and I’ve just successfully accessed it remotely. So the issue does look to be at least related to DHCP functionality - possibly lease times.

Unless I run into issues at a later stage I think that’s a good workaround. Thanks again.

I set up a 2Tb MyCloud with a 2Tb MyPassport via the USB port. Setup went smoothly and my first backups went OK. But like several other posts, both drives stopped responding after a few hours (maybe after going into sleep mode?) and the MyCloud desktop apps would not run. 

Pulling the power cord and allowing the drives to restart got them back online, but the problem repeated several times.

I was about to either disable the powersave function or change the DHCP pool and assign a static IP (a task well above my pay grade) when I noticed that the date and time displayed on the MyCloud Dashboard Settings page were way off, like about 3 weeks behind the correct time. Next to “Primary Server” I clicked on “Configure”, and the current NTP servers were time.windows.com and pool.ntp.org. Several restarts did not correct the clock. I added time.nist.gov to the server list and saved it. After another restart the clock was correct and both drives have worked perfectly since then, about 5 days now without loss of connection.

I don’t know why it worked, but I’m happy. Just a suggestion to take a look at the date/time setting before doing major network surgery.

@MyCloud-user, that is a good point and perhaps the major reason for a disconnect since the Cloud would probably thinks that it needs to renew its DHCP 3 weeks into the future and the router would see that the ip has expired in a few hours time and thus the connection is lost.

1 Like

Got the 4TB MyCloud model just a week ago. Initially I was very pleased with the device - especially read/write speed compared to my old WD NAS. But now I am experiencing the exact same behavior as described here. I believe the problem wasn’t happening until i loaded up my pictures on the drive (12GB or so). Static IP trick does not help. I don’t think it is the sleep mode too as two of the hangs occured during active use of the device - once uploading a large file, second time while watching a video stored on the NAS. I have disabled the DLNA server/iTunes, cloud access, time machine backups, ftp, but still no avail. 

I was thinking I might have gotten a bad unit but this thread (and few others) make it sound like I am barely not the only one having this exact same issue…

After a bit more digging into the problem - it seems there is process called ‘convert’ which I guess creates thumbnails or something of my videos/pictures, which likely is the culpirt as it occupies one of the CPU cores on 100% and I am thinking NAS freezes due to CPU overheating. Obviously that happens after you load the NAS with content, especially when you dump a lot of it at once. 

My MyCloud is always slower when running the photo convert application. It can take days to complete if you upload many pictures.

Mine has never locked up but does respond slower.

leobg wrote:

After a bit more digging into the problem - it seems there is process called ‘convert’ which I guess creates thumbnails or something of my videos/pictures, which likely is the culpirt as it occupies one of the CPU cores on 100% and I am thinking NAS freezes due to CPU overheating. Obviously that happens after you load the NAS with content, especially when you dump a lot of it at once. 

Did you read your PM in this forum?