150-600 Kb/sec USB transfers via SSH between MyCloud and MyPassport

Hello,

I have a 1TB MyPassport Ultra connected via USB to a 3TB MyCloud. I am trying to copy only 105 GB worth of data from the MyCould to the MyPassport. When I SSH into the MyCloud and copy directly to the MyPassport via cp or rsync I get transfer rates of about 400 Kb/sec. Occassionally the cp or rsync processes hang and file copy stops. When I use WinSCP and log into the MyCloud via SFTP, WinSCP displays tranfer rates from 150-600 Kb/sec.

Anyone has any ideas why I have such horrible device-to-device USB performance and any ideas how to correct this? I can copy between the devices faster using Windows Vista’s Explorer via Wi-Fi.

Thanks in advance.

bfsaro wrote:

Hello,

I have a 1TB MyPassport Ultra connected via USB to a 3TB MyCloud. I am trying to copy only 105 GB worth of data from the MyCould to the MyPassport. When I SSH into the MyCloud and copy directly to the MyPassport via cp or rsync I get transfer rates of about 400 Kb/sec. 

Log into My Cloud via SSH in second window and use “top” command to monitor processes / CPU.

The number one process, at 97-99% is forked-daapd; iTunes server.

I’m wondering if the MyCloud CPU throttles down when used for a long period of time? I updated the firmware, gave the MyCloud a good night’s rest (shutdown), then powered it up the next morning. After killing the iTunes server process, I was getting about 1.8 Mb/sec transfers via SSH copying from the MyCloud directly to the USB 3.0 MyPassport Ultra. Not blazing, but I go the last 30 GB of data over in an hour and a half. Later in the day I did another copy of about 2 GB and the transfer rate was down to about 800 Kb/sec.

It doesn’t throttle at all that I can see… Even when idle, it doesn’t scale back much. But there are other processes that might be running when new media are added. Twonky? Photodbmerger? wdmcserver?

I just tried with My elements (not Ultra) USB 3. It is very fast. Gigabytes per minute. Maybe an issue with USB cable or connector? I did not have to stop any processes and still saw good speed.

Maybe /var/log/kernel.log indicates USB errors?

I see that you have ssh into the device which is good because you can now do the following

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

/etc/init.d/wddispatcherd stop

/etc/init.d/wdnotifierd stop

The last two is a major cause of lockups after plugging in a USB device. Believe me, I’ve done this at least four times with 3 lock ups and stopping the last two services clears up the plug ups entirely.

Now do the USB copy test. You should get about a max of 40MB/s to and from the USB and. If the USB device is not a WD drive, then you will get about 18MB/s write and 25 MB/s reads. No idea why the discrepency. 

My best guess for the 40MB/s max is that is the max speed of writing through the gigabit ehternet for the Cloud. You should get 40MB/s writes through the gigabit ethernet to the USB 3.0 device.

Now in order to remove the usb device using the WEB/ui you have to restart the last two services.

/etc/init.d/wddispatcherd start

/etc/init.d/wdnotifierd start

Actually once you have stopped those services you should be able to restart them and leave them on anytime, but for safety reasons I leave them stopped.  

What do they do? my best guess for the wdnotifierd is a service between the WEB/UI and any services that needs to put feedback to the WEB/ui. and wddispatcherd is probably something similar but dispatches a services. This is the reason that you may need to start them up in order to get the USB connected menu with the eject button.

Good luck…