Wd cloud app stops playback when phone is on standby

I have an iPhone 5s and the newest version of the wd my cloud app, and auto music playback is on but the app only plays the current song and stops after that when the screen goes dark which makes the app useless for its purpose. Am i required to touch the screen every 30 seconds to keep listening to music?

Welcome to the Community.

Does your phone interrupt or manage traffic to save battery? Did the app continue to play files with the screen off on previous versions?

Regards,

i don’t know of a setting on ios8 to restrict traffic to save battery, and no previous versions did the same thing, what i found though is that the songs keep playing when i download the songs in a folder in the wd app

tschar wrote:

I have an iPhone 5s and the newest version of the wd my cloud app, and auto music playback is on but the app only plays the current song and stops after that when the screen goes dark which makes the app useless for its purpose. Am i required to touch the screen every 30 seconds to keep listening to music?

Just so you know, you are not alone here.  I have an iPhone 5c and iPad gen3, and both exhibit this flaw.  I discovered it this summer when I was beta-testing a new WD product that uses My Cloud.  Since this was the only product I had used with My Cloud, I did not know it was the WD device or the My Cloud app with the problem. I reported it during beta-testing, and it got fixed somewhat, but not entirely.

I have since determined it is the app, and its “trigger” is the Auto-Lock feature of the iThings  (found in the General settings). Once the screen went dark from auto-lock, it would stop the music while it was playing.  Now, it seems that does not happen, but once a track is finished while screen is dark,  the app needs to be awakened and then the next track begins.  My “solution” was to extend the setting time of the auto-lock.  I currently have the iPhone at a 3-minute setting, and the iPad at a 2-minute setting.  Of course, if I extend either for longer the issue is lessened, but then I waste battery because the screen stays on for longer.  The issue is not coming from iOS8 either; the problem was there with iOS7.

BTW, this is not an issue with my Android Kindle, since it does not have an auto-lock feature  Also, this may only be an issue with the “5” series phones, since folks with 4-series don’t seem to have the issue, although, I cannot explain why my iPad has the issue, too.

I guess I need to contact WD again about this issue, because not only have you added to the complaint, but a regular forum member recently got a new iPad Air2, and has mentioned the same issue is there on the new Air.

I have noticed this with the latest version of the app on the ipad air.  I have two ipad airs at home on IOS 7.  Since updating the app play back stops when the screen has timed out and the track has fininshed.  On unlocking the screen the next track is loaded and playback resumes.  In the previous version of the app playback continued even when the screen  times out.  The Android version of the app has maintained the previous functionality and continues to play on.

Could we please have an update to the software to resolve this bug.

I have exactly the same problem with an iPhone 6, under iOS 8. That’s a real bug…

Use MyCloud to play music on iphone 4S.  When 'phone goes to standby, the current track completes but then plackback stops. If the 'phone is powered from the mains, then the tracks keep playing, with 'phone screen dimming, rather than going into proper standby.  Seems a sensible setting to avoid battery drain. 

However, I would like to see a dedicated music app from WD, similar to the app for photos - just to make access easier and to include album art and a few dedicated playback functions.