iOS HDMI Out and WD My Cloud App

I think I see what you and the first person are complaining about, because I just streamed (and played) a video to my iPad using the My Cloud app, and tapped off the iPad (using the iPad A/V adapter) and into my TV’s HDMI input port.  No problems whatsoever.   

What I think the issue is is an incomplete understanding of using the My Cloud app on an iPad or iPhone. Yes, you will see a “video playing INSIDE a window” when it starts playing on the iPad/iPhone (and therefore on to the TV) unless you adjust the app for full screen and also eliminate the top and bottom white control bars.  Here is what to do (and the app looks differently on the two iThings):

1.  Start a video playing on an iThing.

2.  Look for the full screen icon (it shows two arrows pointing outward) so tap it. (Only on iPad; next step makes iPhone full screen),

3.  Now that you have full screen, remove the top and bottom bars on screen by tapping the iThings movie screen in the middle of the of screen or somewhere close.

4.  You should now have a complete, full size movie frame with no clutter showing.  If you want to get to the bottom controls again, tap the screen again, and of course, tap it again to remove the white bars.

5.  When finished watching movie, make the reverse moves to get to control bars, and then tap the full screen view off again.

You can do any of the above steps whether the iThing is connected to the TV or not, since the iThing and TV display exactly the same thing.

BTW, using the overpriced Apple A/V adapter is “so yesterday” if one has set up his home network to be accessible to all devices and apps and has hardware and apps to stream media directly to devices - wirelessly.  I never use the Apple A/V adapter anymore – I just pull out the iThing, start up the appropriate app, and stream (or beam) the movie (stored on some networked hard drive of mine) directly to a device (e.g. a WDTV media player or Roku, Chromecast, etc.) that can grab the file from the network and start playing it.  More detail would require a separate discussion, so I will stop here, other than to say:  find the free MediaPlay app at Apple app store, install it, and see if you can get it working for you and your equipment so you can beam videos wirelessly.  Requires a solid and fast wireless network for best results.

1 Like