Cannot use remote acess

I have setup mycloud on my local network and didn’t have any problems connecting to it while on my wifi network or from my media player in the living room. However, when I try to access remotely using my samsung galaxy s2 , I’m having a big issue. I can log in to my account online and I see my device. But, when I select my device and having waitwd for 3-4 minutes i get this message : “Unable to acess device (0)”.

Please help…

I have the exact same problem. It had been working fine up until about a week ago now I cannot access the device unless I’m on my home network. Sent in an email request for tech support on Sunday but still have not heard back, very frustrating.
I’ve reinstalled all software and apps to no avail. Firmware is current. Hopefully they are aware of this issue and working on a fix. If not resolved soon I’ll be returning the device.

the point is  if there  is anybody who knows how to fix the problem!! according to the commercials everything works fine…i bought it for that reason.

What kind of remote access?

Access to dashboard? For that you need to have a VPN or OpenVPN on your LAN and know your public IP (better use DDNS).

i mean access to my content of my cloud. using my cloud application.

at this time i am executing a “full factory reset” and then i will install everything from the beginning

Have you had any luck resolving remote access? I am outside my 30 day phone support window and have not been able to use MyCloud for weeks now, very disappointing. The WD MyCloud email support took over a week to respond. I have a CenturyLink C2000T router and am wondering if it is part of the problem along with the MyCloud.

With my IOS7 I can access remotely MyCloud say 1 time every 10, also under 3G signal

With Win7 PC app say 7 times every 10

This means configuration is ok but something is wrong in applications.

I’m working on a new switch next week and several tests, but I think the basic problem are apps to be debugged/optimized

have the same problem; have to wait about half an hour unitl I can access remotely.

Another problem is 24 hour problem, when your provider gives you a new IP address every day. Then manually set network options in NAS don’t work, only automatic network option wil work.

The latest firmware update for the cloud device has broken remote access.  Currently the only way I could regain access is to readd the device manually using a new activation code.

you need to access data in Mycloud(dropbox) or in your My Cloud device ?

If you need to access data from My Cloud device, you need to select manual connect and then dial the code that you get from your device ,  or you have to make it as a domain name for easier to access.

It is important to use in the WD My Cloud network options “Automatic”, because “Manual” does not work with a internet connection, that gets every 24 hours a new public IP-address by the internet service provider.

It should work though. You first have to setup your router to assign a fixed IP address to the unit inside your network. You can also assign a fix IP within the unit admin interface, but I don’t recommend it. If your router doesn’t provide a way to assign speficifc IP addresses, then using the web admin is the only way.

Then you need to open external ports in your router interface and map them to the 80 and 443 ports of the unit. The external port numbers can be almost anything but choose something simple like 8080 (mapped to 80) and 8443 (mapped to 443). You have to enter the information both in the port forwarding router setup and you have to enter the external port numbers in the unit admin interface as well.

You don’t tell me new things, I already know this all. Perhaps other would find this usefull.

Yes, It should work though, but it doesn’t, only until the next obligation separation through the internet provider . I spent 3 month work with WD support, but they don’t find a solution. I have on first installation assigned a fixed IP address to the WD NAS inside the home network. Outside of the router the public IP-address is changed every 24 hours by the internet provider and this is the cause, why it only works 24 hours, if network options are set to manual. The WD2go server doesn’t find the NAS devices next day after the obligation separation. WD did not you Dynamic DNS!!!

Besides it doesn’t matter if you assign a static or DHCP assigned IP-address to the WD NAS; the address is only seen inside the home network (or you use a VPN to connect from outside) and not outside of the router - the side which is connected to the public internet.

For all you can better understand with a picture, I made on. One picture says more than thousand words:

I am having the same problem, been using the drive fine for two months and my 3 staff all using apps and mac software perfectly.

Then a couple of weeks ago it’s all stopped and I can only access from the office. I have re booted, logged in and out. Check the drive etc…

Can they really sell a drive as cloud if you can only access from the same room. Rain Cloud may be.

Has anyone had any luck or have WD said anything helpful?

Thanks, Ian

what kind of internet access to you have behind the cloud devices? How often is the public IP address renewed by your internet provider?

My public IP address changes every 24 hours and with network options “manually” - setting also the port forwarding manually - I had only mobile success till the next obligation separation. So check the network options and set them to “Automatic”. If it is already done I have no further idea.

Some internet provider changes the public IP address of their customers every 24 hours, others monthy or quarterly or once in a half year, others yearly. If there is a static IP address, it is never changed. I think WD didn’t recognize this problem, because they didn’t test as long as they had a obligation separation - perhaps only quarterly - or even they have a static IP address in their lab, so the would never recognize this problem.

A work around should be the following: go to MyCloud dashboard, set remote access to OFF and than again to ON. Now the new public external IP-address is updated on the WD2go server.

Same issue with me. Nothing to do with setting IPs when everything is set to DHCP AUTO. The whole marketing angle of the cloud was simplicity.

MyCloud worked great right upto the software update in Jan. After that, no access at all. Rebooted the drive, switched off sleep mode and finally got access back on my network and on wifi BUT no access remotely. Tried several options on this forum and no luck. I’ve just opened a ticket with WD support.  I also don’t think resetting the device is not the answer. Defeats the purpose of having a cloud.

Anyone have a solution? 

DHCP AUTO does not affect the external public WAN IP-address, which is assigned by your Internet provider to your Internet access point. It may nevertheless chance some times (once per day, monthly or half a year).

Try to set a static  IP-address to your WD Cloud device and check the port forwarding roules in your router. Port 80 and port 443 should be listet in the UPnP ports in your router. If you have more than one WD NAS other ports will also become in use (i.e. 8080 and 8443)