.avi/mkv files

Another year has gone by and WD still hasn’t updated the MyCloud app to simply recognize any file formats other than .mp4 video files.  Why is it that I can go to the AppStore and download 1 of 20 different apps that can easily stream a variety of video formats via Wifi but WD can’t simply update their app to do the same. I wouldn’t be complaining, but those other apps only work well over WiFi and are a hassle to get to work via my 4G connection. WD’s own MyCloud app is already connected and designed to work over 3G/4G. 

WD, do you just not care about the needs or your customers, or are you simply incapable of this?  These small independent app developers seem to be able to do something on a limited budget that your billion dollar company can’t do.  I’ve read thread after thread for over a year now where customers want the ability to simply stream their .avi and .mkv files and the only option you suggest is to convert thousands of videos to .mp4 format.  In fact, it’s not even WD staff that suggests this. Staff ignores their own forum and leaves it to other users to suggest this option.  WD is a joke now.  The only update we received for the MyCloud app was a stupid change in the layout.  They wasted time and resources changing the stupid layout instead of responding to the most requested features like how to fix the random “device offline” issue and adding support for other file formats.

I’m sure Tony will be along shortly to tell me that it’s just not possible to play these other formats on an iPhone or iPad when we all know the other competing apps do it just fine.  What say you WD?

Hi Jumpman, sorry to hear you are having a bad experience. I haven’t used the iPhone version of the My Cloud app, but I do use the Android version, and by itself the My Cloud app won’t open video files, in my case I use another app to play them. Please note that the WD Community is not meant to offer direct support to customers, if you need support I recommend you to contact them directly by phone or email.

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

I use another app to play files on android as well. When the mobile app sees the file is unsupported an option is given to use a 3rd party media player. Works fine. But why does the ios wd mobile app not make a similar call?

Dear M. jubei04

jumpman is absolutely right. I am also waiting since 2 years that the WD MyCloud for IPad /iPhone will five the capacity to read other format than MP4 like the very common avi format.

If you referring to call, that I have big doubt it will have benefit and requesting to confirm your solution, which is not, why having this community?

I agree with the other that WD company have big issue in their process to consider their customer request.

My esteem for the company you represent has taken all at once and it will affect undoubtedly the awareness of your brand if you do not act on this issue that become unacceptable in today’s world, for any average business and large

Regards

Ian Poisson
Senior Manager in worldwide company

To the complainers here.  You really do not have a complete understanding of this situation and video playback.  I have iOS and Kindle devicns, and neither of these devices can play back anything natively other than the most common types of files such as mp4 and m4v files.  Anything beyond those formats, and a specialized app is required .  In the case of an iPad, plqying back a quality (HD) mkv through another app is marginal at best, because the iPad just does not have the processing power to do a good job playing it, and why we need to convert videos to a more acceptable iPad format. such as mp4/m4v and why a program like Handbrake exists for making the files.

If playback for all the many video formats was built-in to My Cloud, it would become a bloated app for no reason at all, because it can link to other apps that are specialized.  I have no avi or mkv files to play on my tablets, so I would not want all this extra stuff built-in to My Cloud.

I also need to point out that if you had a Seagate drive and their version of My Cloud (called Seagate Media) you would have the same exact issues and complaints, because it has nothing to do with the apps or drives, but what IPads and other tablets can and cannot do!

So, you don’t need for Tony to tell you this again, because I just did.

1 Like