Wd2go app on Windows Phone 8- warning!

Hello. I’ve just joined this community forum to warn Wd2go windows phone app users. I am a happy user of Nokia Lumia 920 with latest Black/ GDR3 firmware and an owner of Wd MyCloud 2 TB NAS used mainly as my media server.

As soon as I realized that there is an WD2Go app in store I installed it and started testing its abilities. It soon appeared that the app is not able to play most of my video files (avis, mkv etc) and only some of my mp4s. In most cases it only showed black screen with  “Loading”.

Here starts not so fun part. After few unsuccesful attempts to play mp4s I gave up… Later this evening I tried to install some game but my phone would not let me do it because of lack of memory. I investigated the issue and here what I learned- my phones memory was 99% full.  WD2Go app inflated “Other” storage to 11 GB when trying to play movies. Whats even more devastating there is no way to get memory back. Uninstalling the app, soft resets, cleaning temporary files did not help at all. After few hours of searching for the solution I ended with performing hard reset…

After that I tried to play some of those mp4s with same result, it inflated my phone’s “other” storage to 6,7 GB after three or four attempts… :frowning:

I hope developers of WD2Go app will investigate the issue and remove this bug. Before that users sholud be careful with this app as it can really cause you trouble.

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Have you tried contacting WD Support directly to see if they have aditional information for the app on windows phones?

WD contact info.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en&ct=networking