WD2go.com and WD 2go Mobile App

So anyone tried to setup remote access using WD2go.com?

Has anyone tried the new Mobile App (available in the App store and android marketplace)??

Would love to hear your experiences!!!

Tony

Yes I just tried it and it works amazingly well, good job WD ! Really impressed with the support of the MyBook Live !

There is one thing I find odd: Web Access is password protected (through wd2go account) and optionally if you password protected the shared directory with an account, you’ll need another password.

But the Mobile Access doesn’t need either of these things, just a one-time code to setup and then it’s free-for-all. It would be better if the user password, needed to access a/the shared directory was asked also.

Because the WD2go app is going to be installed on many iPhones, iPads, Android phones and Android tablets, this is a very big security risk. I hope this gets addressed in the future, until then I’m deactivating the Mobile Access.

As part of your overal “security” you should be password protecting your mobile device first and foremost. I am sure you have sensitive data in emails… right? We will have a “paid” version of the app that will add other features (including a security option).

The DAC code (Device Authorization Code) is a very secure method of establishing communications between the two devices.

Glad you like it. We have worked pretty hard on this over the last year. We have some great plans for expanding it as well. Stay tuned!

I could imagine the wd2Go and WD Photos apps merging together into one app?

You know… we have thought about that a lot. Our Mobile App team want to keep the apps separate and expand each one. Singular tasks for each app is kinda the Mobile App mantra.

WDTony wrote:

As part of your overal “security” you should be password protecting your mobile device first and foremost. I am sure you have sensitive data in emails… right? We will have a “paid” version of the app that will add other features (including a security option).

Yes you are right about overal security ofcourse, but it’s still a little strange that it circumvents the password requirements. I’ll be awaiting the paid version then :slight_smile:

WDTony wrote:

Glad you like it. We have worked pretty hard on this over the last year. We have some great plans for expanding it as well. Stay tuned!

I can’t wait for even more features ! The hard work does pay off, the Live is a very nice NAS with excellent performance and hasn’t ever even crashed or shown any signs of problems. Top notch !

Cool… glad you like it. Try out the new Safepoint feature (Backs up the entier My Book Live to another Network share). This will give you piece of mind in case something ever happens.

I don’t need to because the Live already is my backup drive and I can’t because it is my only NAS. But I see the use of this and I’m glad it’s there.

Works well here too with just one minor issue. I am running Tomato firmware on my router. uPNP is enabled but can only manage a relay connection.  Can you supply the port numbers so I can set up a manual forward?

BTW thank you for listening to us.  This is way better than the previous solution.

Steve

WDTony…

I start the WD 2go app and click on my My Book Live. A dialog box asking for an activation code come up. I go into the My Book Live dashboard into Network and there is nothing to allow me to generate an activation code.

What am I doing wrong? I updated the firmware when I first ran the dashboard upon installation.

Hi there,

I love the MyBookLive & the new update is superb! It is working perfectly on my Android Phone. Thank you!

I have found one issue which I think is related to the firmware update: The drive no longer goes into ‘standby mode’. Up until the current firmware update the drive was going into sleep mode after about 10 minutes. I have tried doing a reboot, tried disabling ‘remote access’ - no luck. Is anyone else having this issue? I do not like having the drive running 24/7!

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Paul.

To get the Activation code you need to go into the Dashboard, then Remote Access. Look under the Mobile Devices section. From there you can generate the Device Access Code.

We tested device standby extensively. It could be that the drive is indexing data or transcoding some of your photos.

Lok for another firmware update preferably 2.0 or higher. It should work after that. right now you may be seeing mionet ( may be ). after the udate, you will not see the mionet and  the remote access should start showing what you need to see.

Recently bought My Book Live and after several days of nonstop backing up,  everything seems to have been backed up. Downloaded WD2Go for my iphone and although it can see all the back up files it can’t find any pictures ! I have all my pictures in a shared file so not sure what I’ve done wrong. In a similar vein I understand the My Book should work as an itunes server. I think I’ve backed up all my itunes file to the My Book but other computers in my house just have an empty file when I click on MyBook Live in the itunes shared column. Have I backed things up incorrectly?

you may need to individually enable each shared folder for media streaming. 

Just loaded WD2go this weekend on my HTC Droid Incredible.  Works great except that the photos come up as filenames and not thumbnails (like WD Photos).  BTW, with this upgrade WD Photos finally works for me, since it never was functional before.  Music works great!!

The functionality is not the same between WD 2go and WD Photos (as you have seen). The WD 2go app is primarly a file viewer application - allowing you to get to your files on the My Book Live. If you want the thumbnail images and properly transcoded photos for your device, use the WD Photos App.

Glad you got it working. Let us know if you have any more comments.

Tony

Skyweir wrote:

Works well here too with just one minor issue. I am running Tomato firmware on my router. uPNP is enabled but can only manage a relay connection.  Can you supply the port numbers so I can set up a manual forward?

BTW thank you for listening to us.  This is way better than the previous solution.

Steve

I have this same issue (shows up as a relay connection)…  Can anybody answer it?

How do I create a share for each individual folder to allow medis sharing ? Also still have no luck viewing photos on my iphone using WD2Go or WDPhotos… help… !

Great app!! I use it with iPhone4, iPad2 and MyBookLive 2TB. Until today it worked fine. But today I have an acess problem with my mobile devices. The failure text said something with the access is denied because the acess code expired. I tried a lot of things: new code, new installing of the apps … but nothing helped. The wd photos app is still working on both devices. Do you have an idea?