WD Photos on iPhone not showing Smartware folder so no pics

THE ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM.

I came to the conclusion that WD Photo could not pic up Smartware and therefore didn’t list it when I opened the WD Photos on my iPhone.

The reasons for this could be one or the other of the following situations.

1/.  Smartware was originally installed as a share on the MCM. (What negates this is that it shows Time Machine which was also pre-installed. You would not see any photos in this anyway because Time Machine is just a restore function and does not allow viewing of what it has saved.)

OR and most likely

2/.  Smartware was set up to automatic backup so any changes within a file were automatically changed on the MCM.

To get round this I created another share called My Pictures and set it to Private. I set it to private before I added the pictures because I saw in a message on here that if you set it to Public, add the pictures then change it to private, it doesn’t work.

Anyway I am now able to see all my pictures with WD Photo WITH thumbnails which is great because the My Cloud app won’t alow thumbnails.

If you have loads of photos, use WD Photo because it has thumbnails unless you enjoy opening every file to see what it holds, in that case use My Cloud.

The only downside to this and its not a major problem to me is that I have smartware backing up my pictures to MCM (68Gb - 27,892 pictures) and I also have a second copy of them in the My Pictures share.

So I am using up 136Gb when I should only have to use 68Gb.

The bonus of this is that I have two copies of all my pictures albeit that they are on the same backup device. But if I delete it off one share by accident, at least it is in the other!

For people with a similar problem, please read

I keep seeing people adding to posts of this nature (WD Photo) that all pictures in WD Photo HAVE to be in the Public folder.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE AS I HAVE JUST SHOWN ABOVE. So you can assign just yourself or whoever you want to view them from your Dasboard.

So don’t go through all the problems of uninstalling My Photo and re installing it etc.

WD Photo is not at fault, My Cloud Mirror is not at fault, it’s down to the software which is limited in what it will allow you to do, and see.

Pete

‘Leave me in the dark and I will find the light’.