WD My Cloud steaming speed issues

Hi

I bought the WD my cloud 1TB last week, followed the installation instructions, transferred pics/videos to it, installed the WD my cloud and WD Photos android app.

I am little disappointed with the streaming speed on to my phone when I’m away from home. I am currently on 4G network and even tried from another wifi hotspot., but when accessing the photos and videos, I’m finding the speed is slow. I love the concept of this product, but if the speed is lagging, then I may not have this for any longer.

I find services like onedrive and googe drive streaming my photos/files very quick compared to this.

Can anyone please share some advice?

Thanks

it depends on your upload speed at home (check your ISP package).

I have 6 Mbps upload speed and 100 Mbps download at home. I play movies on my 4G Iphone quite well.

i did an online broadband speed test.

My ISP package: Sky Broadband unlimited (ADSL)

Download: 9Mbps

upload: 1Mbps

Is this good? 

nav_007 wrote:

Is this good? 

This is not good, it is bad.  So bad, that I would deem it pathetice (and totally unuseable) for streaming.  About all it is good for is email and web browsing.  If you can, you need to dump DSL and get a faster access, like cable, and not their slowest.  I have Comcast Blast service that is 100 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload.  No issues in home, and if I have good wireless internet speed away it works well, too.  I hardly ever use the cellular bandwidth; gets expensive real quickly.

So, the issue is NOT with your new WD device, and if you are disappointed it is your own fault for buying something before doing your homework and learning your internet speed is sub par.  Get faster service and all will be better.

Reason OneDrive works better is they have much faster upload speeds than most home services.

nav_007 wrote:

Is this good? 

You will need at least 3Mbps upload to stream video. That is not optimal and will take about 30 seconds for the data to start streaming, but it will work. At around 5-6Mbps upload it should run with no problem.