Updated MyBookLive Firmware

I upgraded my WD, MY Book Live to the new firmware. So far loving it.

The backup solution is the bomb, it will backup the MyBookLive to another NAS or computer. I was one of the first to get aboard with WD and NAS drives (I have a world edition, white light - which I had hacked, but just updated firmware).

I bought the MyBookLive due to faster operational speeds and use the World Edition to back up the Live. I was using Robocopy and windows script file. So I had to remember to do it. Now with this firmware, its automatic.

Another item - the wd2go feature, internet version, is nice. I can access drive while at work. (I backup some needed files on the MyBook). I can upload to the Mybook at 527 KB/Sec, but down loading is miserably slow (like 23 kb/sec). My upload speed at the house is  128 kb/sec.

I have a firewall on the incoming connection - do I need to port forward to the MyBook. I port forwarded HTTPS (port 443). Does wd2go use different ports that I should forward through the fire wall?

Update, the 23 kb/sec is the best I’ve seen, it takes forever to discover than start downloading from the mybook to the desktop.

Glad you like it so far. If you check your dashboard (The My Book Live UI), you can tell if you are in relay mode or direct connection (peer to peer). If you are in relay mode, you are going to be slower becasue everything is relayed through our central servers. This wil typically happen if you don’t have uPnP setup on your router, or you are Double NATed (

Here is a snippet from the FAQ : http://support.wdc.com/product/release2faq.asp?lang=en

In a small business or home environment, the WD 2go software first attempts to open a port on your router to allow access to the My Book Live. If this is not successful, a relayed connection will be established between WD’s data center, your My Book Live, and your external device. If you are configuring your firewall or router specifically for WD 2go on the My Book Live, you must open open ports TCP 80, TCP 443, and UDP 1194.