Unable to Properly Play .WMA files via WD MyCloud on Android

BACKGROUND: I understand WD MyCloud app doesn’t support wma file format natively and requires a 3rd party player from the Play store. I am able to play .wma files on my phone streaming from the wd mycloud but it will only play one song at a time (I have to specifically choose the song), it will not play all songs in a directory as a normal music player and the native .mp3 player does. Also, it will only play the song in the foreground. If I lock my phone or choose another app it will stop playing the song. Typically other music players will continue to play songs in the background. QUESTION: Does anyone recommend or know of a player in the Play store that will play songs streamed from MyCloud in the background on the Android phone and also play multiple files in a row such as in a directory or playlist? ALTERNATIVELY:  Is my only other choice in lieu of a proper player to convert all my audio .wma files on the wd mybook live drive to .mp3?  Thank you

planet_bill wrote:

BACKGROUND: I understand WD MyCloud app doesn’t support wma file format natively and requires a 3rd party player from the Play store. I am able to play .wma files on my phone streaming from the wd mycloud but it will only play one song at a time (I have to specifically choose the song), it will not play all songs in a directory as a normal music player and the native .mp3 player does. Also, it will only play the song in the foreground. If I lock my phone or choose another app it will stop playing the song. Typically other music players will continue to play songs in the background. QUESTION: Does anyone recommend or know of a player in the Play store that will play songs streamed from MyCloud in the background on the Android phone and also play multiple files in a row such as in a directory or playlist? ALTERNATIVELY:  Is my only other choice in lieu of a proper player to convert all my audio .wma files on the wd mybook live drive to .mp3?  Thank you

Not that I know of, but I think this is how the app behaves on purpose to save bandwidth.

I’ll probably just end up converting my large library to mp3. That may take awhile, but have already downloaded free software converter to do it. Sad that WD MyCloud doesn’t support more file types. I’d think Windows Media Player default file type should be a large population of files in use and a no brainer to add as a supported type to the native player. WD Support said they can’t provide input on 3rd party apps. The problem is every app in the Play store I’ve tried doesn’t work in the way I need it to. Anyone else trying to stream / play wma files on your Android device from WD MyCloud?

I ended up converting all my .wma files to .mp3 (nearly 2000 files) using Switch Sound File Converter - a freeware program. This took about 15 to 20 hours across the network wireless. Problem solved I suppose, but I still say and recommend that WD adds more files types to play in the native app for WD MyCloud. Case closed.

May I ask what player you are using to stream .wma files from your Mycloud.  At the moment I am stumped trying to get any .wma files to stream to my Nexus 5.  I have tried Poweramp, Rocket Player, Double Twist, plus numerous others and they all refuse to play .wma files streamed from the Mycloud. 

Regards,

Leon