Setting up only as NAS not MY Cloud

I just received my My Cloud 3 TB drive.  I run a Mac environment at home.  I was hoping I could just set this up as a NAS so that it would just show up as a shared drive on each of the mac’s.  I connected it to my time capsule with ethernet connection and I see the drive on all the computers but…it seesm I have to load the WD app on each desktop etc.  I don’t really want all the functionality that WD has built into the drive.  I guess stupid question…can I just reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended and have a gigabit speed ethernet HD connected to the time capsule and useable by all computers on the network?

Appreciate any thoughts

swissal wrote:

it seesm I have to load the WD app on each desktop etc

What gives you that idea?   There’s actually no requirement for ANY software.  It works out-of-the-box with PCs and Macs.  All the software is optional.

Thanks for the note.  I guess I was having problems connecting as anything other than as guest through finder.  I am blocked by the password if I register as a registered user.

Alastair

If it is of any help…I was confused and stopped dead by the password when logging on to my cloud…default WD password is no password.  Hope this helps