Play .avi via WD MyCloud app

I have a 3tb MyCloud. I can view my photos, but I have some .avi files that won’t play. The app tells me that I need to go to the market and get a player.

So I installed one but the app still doesn’t recognize the player.

Any suggestions would be great.
Greg

1 Like

What device are you using?

Probably the same as this

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-Mobile-Apps/MTS-file-association-in-WD-2GO-Android/td-p/589177

I’m using a HTC DNA (android)

I am encountering the same proble with iPhone/iPad (I have avplayer and vlc) and no send to feature is present…

1 Like

Beralath wrote:

… no send to feature is present…

Sure there is.

I’m demonstrating on my iPhone with an MP3 file because it was much faster to download than a video, but the steps work the same way.

I posted the same issue here  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Play-All-Video-File-Types-on-Iphone/td-p/672519 and no true answer.

One person suggested that you must download the video to the device before you can open it with a program. But i want to live stream it over my 4g instead of downloading it.  Doesnt seem like it’s possible with this current WD app for Iphones. Works awesome on android.

For Android devices i would go download MX Player and you should be fine (it’s free)

mr_slow_motion wrote:

For Android devices i would go download MX Player and you should be fine (it’s free)

That’s exactly what I use on my tablet.  Good stuff.

It’s available using PlayerXtreme Pro (2,69€) . Once opened, you may press on the three lines right side your device appears, select “edit” and login with your name user and password HDD WD. I have installed it and works fine.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/media-player-playerxtreme/id456584471?mt=8

Balsas,

i downloaded PlayXtreme Pro for ipad, but your directions from there don’t match up with what I have. I see three lines with “edit” but i see no place to enter a username or password.

help?

As far as I’m aware there is no way to run the avi files from the My Cloud app on the iPad or iPhone as when you select the file and the question mark comes up in the top right corner the only option is email link. Email link if you can even get it to work allows you to download the entire file on to your IOS device. from there you can use which ever app you like to that runs avi files.

Before on WD2Go it used to say open with. Why has this been removed and when will it be fixed in an update? Unless any one else knows of any other method of steaming the file, like me I guess many of us do not want to download the file in total. 

is there any way to do a network stream through VLC? or intsall a codec on the ipad that allows for avi playback?

Hi all,

I emailed WD and ask why we could not open the avi files on iphone and the iPad using the “Open With” option as TonyPh12345 shows in his earlier post. I belive what Tony shows is an old app called WD2GO which was replaced my the App we are using. The query has been logged and if enough people ask the question I am sure it will get resolved with and update but for now downloading the whole file is the only option.

Below is the responce I recieved :

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. I understand the issue. I have noted this as a feature request so that it can be adopted in the App in the future. Please excuse the inconvenience, but downloading the file would be the only workaround at the moment.

So the olny thing I can say is get on the case and get in contact with WD support.

http://westerndigital.force.com/ind/ID_Login … Register your MyCloud and sumbit a query.

I wrote the below :

To whom it may concern, I have put files onto My Cloud in an AVI format as this has been what I have used for some time. I can use them from the My Cloud on a Mac Book using VLC by setting it as a default for AVI files. However on the iPhone and iPad there is no such option. Also when I select the file through the My Cloud App it comes up with a question mark and when I look at the option in the top right corner all I get is “email link”. Email link seems to result in the entire file being downloaded on to the IOS device which is not what I am trying to do. Preferably I would like to stream it and it would appear previously on the WD2Go App there was the option to “open with” which would then allow me to use another App on my device to use the file. Is this a known issue and will it be address with a future update on for the IOS Apps? Many Thanks

I would imagine you might be able to view it when submitting under the helpfaull articles.

Cheers 

John

John0849 wrote:

Hi all,

I emailed WD and ask why we could not open the avi files on iphone and the iPad using the “Open With” option as TonyPh12345 shows in his earlier post. I belive what Tony shows is an old app called WD2GO which was replaced my the App we are using. 

No, that image above was from the prior (3.x.x) release of the app.

The feature is gone in version 4.   For that reason, I wouldn’t call it a “feature request” at all – it used to be there, now it doesn’t work, so it’s a bug.  ;)