OK dumb question here

Just picked up WD MP wireless. Looking for app for Kindle fire HD. Can’t find it in Amazon App Store. Anyone have this problem? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Welcome to the Community.

At this moment the WD My Cloud app requires a clean version of Android.

I’m not sure what you mean. When I researched My Passport Wireless it said it is compatible with Kindle Fire. Also stated in paper instructions that came with it that app is available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD-My-Cloud/dp/B00QFTSTV2/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1417615420&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+my+cloud

OK, a few issues here, and a question for Tony in a moment.

I have a MPW and two different sized Kindle Fire HD tablets (as well as iPhone and iPad) and all these devices work with the MPW.  IDevices are very easy to install My Cloud app onto, and installing on Kindles, because there is not yet a Kindle version of the app in Kindle store that includes the MPW, (“coming soon”) but there is an Android version that works well. The Amazon app store has the Android app, I got it put into my app account, but because Amazon says it is not compatible with my Kindles it will not send the app to my two Kindles and install it!  So, here is what to do, and what I have done all along:

Use the app called 1Mobile Market to download and install My Cloud (get the Kindle Store version of 1Mobile) and install it on your Kindle (If you have an earlier version of this app already it won’t give you the current My Cloud app) so you need the current 1Mobile app so you can download the current v4.1.1 of My Cloud and easily install it using 1Mobile.

Find “WD My Cloud” app in the 1Mobile store.  Click to install it, and in a moment it will happen, so keep an eye on the screen.  Find My Cloud in the list of apps on your Kindle, and off you go!  You can check at 1Mobile every few weeks or monthly for an update of the app.

Question for Tony: why does Amazon barf at installing the app on my Kindle?

Another app you will find handy, is Avia (in Kindle app store) because, if like I do, you have videos in both mp4 and m4v formats (although they are exactly the same files) A Kindle plays only mp4 files.  So, when you access your m4v files on the Kindle from My Cloud, it knows the Kindle can’t play that file, so it asks which app it should use, and in this case select Avia. (Of course, Avia can see DLNA servers such the MPW, so you can just open Avia to begin with and use IT to find your MPW and play a file.  (No My Cloud app needed.) Avia can also cast movies from MPW to a Roku, Chromecast or Smart TV,  So, quite handy for that as well, so buy the app; you really can’t use Avia for other than videos actually on your Kindle, otherwise.

Anyway, keep this in mind for later; first things first, and get the My Cloud app installed,  Good luck.

Beats the heck out of me… I don’t have a Fire, but two are on the way for kids’ Christmas!

Well, Tony, a lot of help you are!  :wink:

Hope the kids enjoy their new Kindles.  And, it appears you will need to use 1Mobile app to D/L My Cloud for their Kindles, too.

For some reason, last night my larger Kindle Fire HD went pretty much TU on me – all I did was turn it on!  Suffice to say that there are error messages everywhere, some apps work, others don’t, plus other issues, and it appears it may have blown it’s electronic brains out all of a sudden.  Rebooting it totally (Hold in power button for 15 seconds or so,) did not help,  and right now I am letting battery all run down to see if it helps.  My smaller Kindle Fire HD is fine.

When I first got mine I went looking for a helpful website, found a good one, so here is the link:  http://www.lovemyfire.com/