Mobile App Android vs iOS remote access and movie files

I have both android and iOS devices and a my cloud. Neither of them play avi/mkv/flv files natively. On my home network however the my cloud shows up as an smb share and I use either mx player or the its playing pro apps for android and ios respectively. Remote access is a problem with no smb share however and I am forced to use the wd mobile app. Why is it that in android the wd mobile app wil stilll call up 3rd party apps like mx player for non supported files but in iOs there is NO software call for 3rd party apps to play unsupported files on my ipad? I can’t play anything remotely on my expensive ipad except supported mp4s but my cheapo old 7 inch nook hd tablet will allow me to play any type of file via 3rd party apps? is there anyway around this? Are there any ios media players that will allow me to access the my cloud remotely?

Hello there,

At the moment those app are designed to meet each company standards and iOs as you can see only does that for supported files like Mp4s. 

As a recommendation, add this to the Ideas board to see if that can be implemented on future updates.

Link to the ideas board:

http://community.wd.com/t5/Software-Accessory-Ideas/idb-p/software_ideas  

@doobzz

It may have more to do with the iPad rather than the app.  I use a 3rd party app called FIleBrowser to access files the iPad cannot play, and it in turn, may have to actually call up the app that does the playing of file.

You may want to also see my comments here on a similar issue in this My Cloud forum

:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-Mobile-Apps/avi-mkv-files/m-p/832058#M5195

Thanks. I actually have no issue playing files with a 3rd party app in iOs, but it works only locally. The app “its playing pro” can see the wd my cloud on the local network itself, browse folders and play files. The problem I have is when I’m remote. With remote access I have to use the wd mobile cloud app and in iOs there is no call for 3rd party apps while the android version makes the call with no problem. I will try to see if Filebrowser can see the wd my cloud remotely.

I use My Cloud with a new My Passport Wireless.  It is both a DLNA server and SMB  share device.  I have the MPW on my network, and can access it on network as a shared devies.  But, not all devices are both servers and shares.  A recent app I have tried is Infuse that sees both.servers and shares.  An app that seee only servers is called MediaPlay.  Your device may only be acting as a server.  So in this case use an app that accesses servers.  FileBrowser only sees shares.