M4V not playing in My Cloud iPad App

I have several seasons of NCIS saved on my drive. I recently discovered the WD iPad App and have started using it to watch shows and movies instead of using the Homeshare feature of iTunes.

Some episodes are mp4 and some are m4v. The m4v’s will not play with the App. I thought this was a supported format?

Welcome to the Community. While .M4V is a supported container, the internal codec still needs to be natively supported by the Apple iPad itself. In this case the codec should be H.264 in order to hardware-decode the stream.

Regards,

Some episodes are mp4 and some are m4v. The m4v’s will not play with the App. I thought this was a supported format? 

Although the m4v is an iPad-friendly format for iPad, it is not friendly to my (Android) Kindles.  Since mp4 and m4v are essentially the same file except for something in an m4v specifically for Quicktime, I have had to change the extension from m4v to mp4 for all my videos so that they play fine on both my iPad and Kindle.  So, try changing the extension of one of your m4v files and see if you can now play it.  If so, change them all to mp4 if necessary.

could one you tell me what im doing wrong because none of my movie files will play on ipad or iphone app at all! used both mp4 and m4v nothing works just says unable to play media files ! this rate the storage will be going back 

You are likely trying to play videos you downloaded from iTunes store, and Apple has been tightening the screws on what devices can serve up the DRM-encrusted media files.  Nothing stored on an external drive works anymore if it has Apple’s DRM.  Thank your pals at Apple for this nasty move, and see this WD forum discussion here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Passport-Wireless/Streaming-itunes-DRM-movies-to-safari-on-iPad-not-working-IOS-8/td-p/802651

All other videos play fine, so if you do not have Apple videos and nothing else still plays, then you have other issues going on at your end.  All my mp4, m4v, mov videos play fine on any device.

I don’t know the reasons. As far as I know, m4v is created by Apple with drm protection, if you want to watch, you need to purchase them. Maybe some  m4v video converter can hep you if you don’t want to pay, which can help you convert videos to mov or other formats