Iphone auto sync camera roll and WD Photos uploads to public folder

I’m a big fan of WD, below are WD devices I’m having:

WD Black 2 Dual-Drive SSD+HDD

WD Live

WD MyCloud

I’m waiting to buy another WD MyCloud EX2.

But one thing I’m really curious to see is the function of Camera roll upload. If this feature is available, it’ll be a Dropbox killer and I’ll unsubscribe Dropbox service to save some cash and keep building my WD nas.

I like your comment and hope WD will come up with this solution.

My digital photos and short videos that I take with my Samsung Galaxy Proclaim phone are uploaded to My Cloud by way of Google+. Look at the following information on the WD Learning site.

http://www.wdc.com/global/products/features/?id=mobileapps&language=en

The upload takes a while. Once I get a email notice from Google that my photos/videos are ready to view I find them on My Cloud too.

If your samsung phone runs on android, I think you can auto upload just by changing your settings for auto upload with background upload turned on.

If you take pictures with your wd photo app, the photos will auto upload as well I believe on the iPhone. It uploads as you take the photo.

Hi, I still can’t get auto upload for photos working on my iPhone 4 using the photos app. Any thoughts? 

OK, its been a year now.

Is the auto sync camera roll feature available for apple devices yet?

If not, can someone recommend a nas brand that has this feature?

1 Like

I agree, I purchased this thinking this was an option.  The wording is very misleading on several things for the mycloud and all of the features I was most excited about do not work with Iphone/Apple products.  At least not easily the way i had invisioned.  If other products can autosync with the camera roll, why not mycloud?  I do not want to open an app navigate to their camera and take my pictures with that… I want to take pictures the normal way and have it be stored on my device. Please make this possible.

2 Likes

Please make an automatic photo update possible for iOS !!

If this feature is not possible, this would definitely be a reason to switch to Synology. 

1 Like

totally agree!

Start developing direct storage to the cloud folders.

and please, change the puplic storage! I want to have the choise of where to store the camera roll archive.

we are in 2014, and those should have been a piece of cake!

I also bought the MyCloudMirror and I chose the 4 GB version explicitly so I could backup my phone pictures to MyCloud instead of Dropbox, and does work for my [Deleted] Android workphone, but not for my private iPhone, which is the ONLY ONE I use to shoot photos…! :angry:

Also as a family with a mix of 3 iPhones, 4 iPads and 2 Android phones, I would NEVER encourage any of my family members to backup their photos to a PUBLIC folder - NO WAY!!!

So for now my MyCloud acquaintance has been a HUGE dissapointment and if the iPhone Auto Photo Backup isn’t fixed VERY SOON as well as the Photo backup to Public folder is corrected to backup to each users Pivate folder, I would of course NEVER dare to buy another WD product :angry:

Also I agree that I want to decide which camera app I use - so to be forced to use the WD Photo app to take photes, is NEVER going to play…!! :confounded:

After reading all of the other posts, unfortunately it lookes like WD doesn’t want to challenge Dropbox, Google+ or iCloud after all :angry:

Yours sincerely,

A very disapointed (former) customer…

Is the Automatic upload feature available on and IOS device yet? I just purchased believing it was, if not I may have to returnt he product… Please give us an updates

Let’s go WD how many times do you have to be asked the same question without an answer.  When will this feature be available??? 

Is the Automatic upload feature available on and IOS device yet?

Also looking for feedback on this. Its available on my android app but the iphone app still doesnt have this functionality. 

It should be a basic requirement on any cloud base system to be able to auto upload and select a private folder 

Brian

1 Like

I would also like to know when this feature will be available.  I bought the 3TB drive hoping for a backup solution for an Iphone and Samsung and to this point have been very disappointed that I cannot get the backup on my Iphone.

1 Like

I too purchased my My Cloud EX2 for this purpose only to find out I was totally misled my the specs and capabilities.  Apparently WD is in bed with Apple and would rather make money off selling them disks than challenging them on thier iCloud offering.

I bought my cloud several days ago. So far I find some drop back of this product.

The first one is auto camera sync is not supported for IOS. I don’t know why WD doesn’t support such a basic feature that so many customers want.

Even you use Android, when the NAS is busy for some transmission, the photos always cannot be found and previewed in the app. I don’t know why WD thinks transmission is a higher priority task than the real time application execution.

Last but not least, the my cloud is a 650 MHz dual core. I guess this is the bottleneck of the device. If it has a better core, I feel the users experience will be much better.

I hope WD will consider the users’ suggestion and improve not only the hardware but also the software design.

BR

One hundred percent agree with most that have posted to this thread. That having an option to automatically backup photos from iphones is a BASIC requirement for this brick that i have now plugged into my network…

I have a household of three teenagers, wife, and myself all with iPhones with hundreds of photos and videos that could be backed up without the need to pay extra for these “cloud” services out there.

Just a note to get the developers at WD up to speed: iPhone is the most popular phone out there… HELLO!!! Heck, my kids barley even get on a computer anymore between their iPhone and iPads they can do just about anything that they need to do… VERY FRUSTRATED!!!

i’m feeling that i was sold a bunch of bull **bleep** from from the sales staff to the fancy packaging to the WD literature… it doesn’t back up anything well and when it does backup something from your computer SmartWare runs slow as dirt.

Now the question is: do we spread the word of WD short comings on this and take the $$ loss we took on buying this or do we kindly wait months / years for an update? (which by then Apple will have updated phones and software so that any update would only work for old iPhones)

Currently the only reason I want switch WD to Synology or Qnap is iphone photo video automatically back up doesn’t exist on WD photo… May we know the schedule can enable this funtion? Otheriwse I have to give up WD…

Completely agree with all.  Automatic backup to a non public folder for iPhone photos is needed.  I was entertaining the idea of a second WD devide for backup of my primary.  Because of this one problem I question that there are others for a family that uses Apple products.  This gripe/request has been out there long enough without any satisfactory response from WD stating that they are looking into it or working on it.  This completely changes my stance.  If WD has no intention of supporting this feature I can see Synology replacing my current WD device and supporting all my future needs - and I won’t be looking back.

Just so you know, WD Photos works as designed. However, we have heard your requests and will be incorporating these functions in future apps. 

This thread is now closed.