IOS and remote access - at the end of my rope!

Hi everyone - I am a non techie, so please be patient with me in your responses!

I have been trying for two days to access my shared files on my ipad.  However, I keep getting the message “remote access disabled”.

I’ve gone to my dashboard - the remote acess is on.  As per other suggestions here, I turned it off and then back on again, but I still cannot access my shared files from my ipad.  I don’t know anything about port forwarding, or changing ports or anything to do with modifying my modem settings and I should not have to!  This MyCloud device should work without me having to go through hoops of fire!  

This “remote access disabled” message comes and goes.  I can access my shared files for days at a time, and then for seemingly no reason, I cannot access them for days.  

Any “easy” asnwers or solutions for me?  Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Opening ports is necessary in case your router doesn’t support UPnP and is unable to automatically negotiate an open path for remote access traffic. On the other hand, do you only encounter this behavior with your iPad? Or is it something common between the mobile devices you have used?

Regards,

Hello, Trancer

I only have an ipad - no phone or other modile devices.  I guess the ports must be open because I do get intermittent access to my shared files on my ipad.

Can you explain how to check my ports?  I need a “Ports For Dummies” tutorail.  What ports should be open? 

By default, ports 80 and 443 are the ones that should be open. The exact process and terminology used to locate and open ports on your router depends on your router.

However, you can confirm if the ports are open in the following link:

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Regards,