Occasional Contributor
markmo

Device Offline - not accessible message

I am having intermittent (more off than on) problems in connecting with my iPad and my new My Book. On WD2go, when I try to connect the My Book Live to see my Shares, I get a message saying 'Device offline - The device is not accessible'. The My Book is blinking green - does the WD2go only work when My Book is not doing any other backing up etc? Can anyone help?
Frequent Advisor
_BLiTZ_

Re: Device Offline - not accessible message

[ Edited ]

Is your MyBookLive updated to the latest firmware? 

It better be because previous firmware versions had some issues regarding remote connections using WD2go.

So, login to MBL user interface, go to System->Update and check online if any update is available.

JohnKWfd

I'm having a similar issue here - same "device not accessible" message on WD2GO app for not iPhone and iPad.

The app works perfectly when I'm using any network other than my home wifi to connect (i.e. works fine over 3G, over work WiFi, etc). But when I'm at home, with my iOS device connected to the same wifi router as my MBL (which is using the latest firmware), I get the "device is not accessible - local files are available" message.

So far, I've rebooted the router to default settings, switched off and on the Remote Access in The MBL dashboard, reinstalled the iOS apps and re-set up access within the apps (new PINs etc).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I'd like to be able to access the MBL with the WD2GO apps whilst at home but this isn't really an option if I have to use 3G to do so. I want to stream videos and view large images on the iOS devices and 3G is too slow.
Staff
Laura_F

There seems to be an issue with some Routers that makes the ethernet/wifi connections act independently. I've so far only seen it happen on iOS devices, however it could potentially occur on an Android as well.

You'll want to switch your My Book Live to Relay, which will force a remote access connection. That will make the App see the My Book Live remotely instead of locally, so it doesn't try to connect to it locally.

We are investigating the causes for this, btw, so if there is something we can do on our end we will.

To switch to Relay, just disable uPnP on your Router and remove any Port Forwarding you've set up.

Laura F
Western Digital Service and Support
Advisor
ddrasko

Hi Laura,

I posted a question as new topic but I saw this thread that is kinda similar to issue that I am having.

My concern is: if I switch off UPnP, would that affect network settings? I have few laptops (Windows), WD live duo, Apple TV, iPad 3 and iPhone4.

I was actually thinking to do opposite thing-to add port forwarding for WD photos app and WD2GO pro app. How to do that!? I know how to do it for Web access but not sure for iTunes apps.

FYI: some other iphone/ipad apps that I am accessing WD live Duo are working flawlessly so this might be WD issue after all.

Thanks.

Occasional Visitor
jmportman

I am having a similar problem - the disk keeps going offline periodically and then reconnects again after about 5 or 10 minutes, although it often needs to be triggered somehow. It happens when I am on my Mac on my home netwok, and also when I am on my iPad out of home, even when in the middle of downloading something, so it is something to do with the disk not staying online all the time, and not to do with going to sleep when not in use. Anyone got any ideas?

Occasional Visitor
Lougreco

I am experiencing the same issue as everyone else acontacted support support three times. Woks at  home but does not work remotely.

Occasional Visitor
hannesjung

Device Offline - not accessible message

I'm having the same problem, I even can't access my drive via browser anymore which worked fine for a few days... What's going on there? Could you please let us know if you're already working on this or if you already know what's causing that problems?

Frequent Visitor
askeles

I have same problem. I contacted to WD support and I am waiting for a reply.

I haven't got any problem with Microsoft network access.  From a windows PC, I can successfully map drive to every share in MyBookLive.

iPad uses wi-fi local connection and it can ping MyBookLive’s local IP address. There is no firewall.

MyBookLive information :

- Firmware is "02.32.05-046"

- LAN configuration is correct, IP is static.

- "Internet Access" is "Good"

- I enabled "Remote Access"

- "Connection Status" is "Connected"

I created a code for "admin" in "Mobile Devices" and I added MyBookLive to WD2Go app, I entered activation code.

Then a "Device Offline - This Device is inaccessible only local files are availabler" error appears.

Occasional Visitor
Lougreco

[ Edited ]

How do I disable upnp on my router???

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD