App for Linux Access

Hi!

I am seriously attracted to the My Cloud hardware solution in order to get my cloud storage under my control. However, when WD refers to easy access from PC, they always mean Windows systems. I have stopped using windows years ago, due to safety issues, and I run only Linux Ubuntu machines. However, I am no Linux geek, I hate typing scrips in the terminal window. Is there an easy way to establish access to My Cloud by a foolproof app like for Dropbox or many others? In the Ubuntu software repo I find a package called Owncloud. Could that be utilized?

Thanks for any hints!

1 Like

Hello,

Unfortunately I don’t have experience with Linux, but maybe some of the other users can share some advice. I’m sure that with the help of Google you can also find some information

Well, thanks for responding, although the information is not too helpful. I have been trying to google on this, but no luck so far.

Why does WD only refer to Windows (the worst OS ever) and Apple for system requirements? The system inside the My Cloud box is Linux, and they don’t support access from Linux? **bleep**, isn’t it?

Seems I will have to buy it and try. Pretty sure there will be no problem to access the storage, but as to the software to manage the box I will be out of luck. Or is there a way to do the management remotely via web access, or via WD website?

If all fails, I will just return it to the supplier.

Cheers

Hi

I have been using wd live duo from my Mageia Linux box for over a year. This is what I can say.

The administration of the Live Duo box is done through the browser. The box includes a web server. You access it providing the IP of the Live Duo box in the browser, and from there on everything is straightforward, and is well documented in the manual.

As for access from your devices, there are two different situations. If your PC is connected to your LAN you do not need anything beyond a plain file manager. Personally I use Dolphin. I open my hard drive in a tab. In a second tab I enter Network → the workgroup where the Live Duo is → the Live Duo → the folder you need (if it is a privete folder you will have to enter username and password) and that’s all. From there on, plain good old copy/cut and paste. File transfer between Live Duo and the PC HD is fairly fast.

The second situation is not so easy. When you are not in your LAN you must access the device remotely through a WD internet site. In my laptop I use Mageia and Firefox, and it just does not work. I must start Windows (I have a dual boot) to get to my Live Duo, and it is painfully slow. As for mobile devices (I use the WD Android App in a Samsung S4) it works, but is also very slow. You should never use it to transfer very large files (or many files), and always on wifi connections.

I hope it helps.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your response.

I also have no problem at all with using a WD NAS inside the LAN.

But that is not what I want the MyCloud for. I want to have it as my personal cloud, to which I can link from whereever I am on the globe (I do travel a lot). So it is just this second scenario I need, and here I also have my problems.

I understand that there is the desktop app, which is used to manage and administrae the server. There is nor Linux for that, which is a pity. There are other software solutions out there to manage personal cloud servers which do work under linux. I can only hope that WD follows some day.

The second activity is just using the cloud storage, like uploading and downloading files. This should be possible by a web interface or by mounting it remotely as SMB or FTP drive. I have not yet explored this But I I have the same basic problem, that under Linux Firefox and under WIN XP Firefox I cannot even access my box. There seems to be some Java incompatibility, which remains unsolved. WD has acknowledge that, they propose using Safari, which has a different Java, but this again is not available except for MAC users. So I am cought here too.

If I don’t find a good solution for these access problems, I will return tne box. The hardware seems nice, but the software support and the customer attention from the side of WD is poor. I am not willing to accept that.

JowiKrause wrote:

Why does WD only refer to Windows (the worst OS ever) and Apple for system requirements?

C’mon.  You know the answer to that… :wink:

It’s because, between the two of them, that covers 99.99% of the user base.

Sure, they could develop apps for Linux, but it’d be such a small return on their investment, there’s no motivation.

Heck, even mainstream software developers are starting to end support for Linux – such as Adobe’s FLASH player – no longer Linux compatible.

JowiKrause wrote:

…is there a way to do the management remotely via web access…?

Not in a supported way.  You can modify the Apache server config to allow it, though.

As I mentioned, I can’t even get it to work from a virtual windows machine.

Now I have also tried the Win desktop app, and this has flaws awell. Keeps asking me to install a security certificate for the server, in an endless loop. So eveb from there I cannot access my shares.

No, the hardware seems great, but the sofware is **bleep**.

As to Linux. Of course I know that Linux is better than Windows but it is being put down by lack of support from the business world. Windows only has its commanding market position because it was pushed by Microsoft marketing millions. Instead of developing good software, they flooded the market.

At WD they ahev understood that, that’s why they installed Linux on the My Cloud Server. all the more weird that they cannot supply am access app.

A pity!

JowiKrause wrote:

At WD they ahev understood that, that’s why they installed Linux on the My Cloud Server. all the more weird that they cannot supply am access app.

Your logic confounds me.   They put linux on it because they have no other reasonable choices.

JowiKrause wrote:

A pity!

Do you honestly think they would have gone with Linux if given Windows/Mac OS for free?  

:laughing:

Ah well, just forget that discussion. Windows vs Linux is not the issue.

But my access problem persists.

And I understand that the problem arise from going via the WD.com server to try and access my disc. So what I need is agood way to circumvent that, I don’t want to stream my data through tier server anyway.

There is a working management interface, called Dashboard, right on the disk, and in the same LAN it can be accessed directly by typing its IP into the browser. Now that’s what I want to do remotely. Would anyone of the sages here have an idea how I can implement that?

Then I could use this way to manage, and FTP for file transfers, and live happily without that desktop app, which doesn’t work for me anyway.