Videos buffering/loading when viewing remotely

Hi all, my step-dad has a WD My Cloud Mirror, initially we couldn’t get it to allow remote access at all but I fixed that by going through port-forwarding.

I can now view family pictures fine, but whenever I try and play videos the buffering is terrible. Even on small 20-30 second clips it will buffer around every 4 seconds. This makes watching the video very difficult.

At his place, he has an 60meg broadband connection and his WDMCM is connected via ethernet. At my house where I’m trying to stream the video I have 100meg broadband and using a PC connected via ethernet.

Surely in this day and age with those speeds, the WD servers should be able to smoothly play video??

Does anyone have any advice on what we could try?

Your dad has 60meg broadband, but what is his UPLOAD speed?

What’s the bitrate of the videos?

What are you watching videos on?  A WiFi device like an iPad or tablet?

8meg upload speed. Not sure of the bitrate of the videos though.

I’m just watching the videos on my PC via ethernet.

How are you connecting to his PC?   Via the Desktop app, or via WDMyCloud.com?

I’m using the Desktop program to access his files on the drive.

need to know the overall bit rate of the files.

Easiest way to know that is to divide the size of the file (in bytes)  by duration of the video (in seconds), then multiply by 8.

Example:

220 Megabyte file

22 Minute duration:

bitrate = 8* (220000000 divided by (22 * 60) ) = 1333333, which means 1.34 megabits per second bitrate.

Sorry for the late reply, it had stopped working altogether recently, but there was an update for the software this morning and I can now access the drive again.

I just tried playing a 28 second video clip which is 52.8Mb in size.

If my calculations are correct (and they might not be! :smileyvery-happy:), it’s around 1.85 megabits per second bitrate.

What sort of bitrate is acceptable for constant streaming? As even trying to watch this 28 second clip was hard work, every 3 seconds it buffers, even though I can see the pre-loaded bar going all the way across.

I also tried it in a different media player aswell (VLC) but this didn’t help.

KTBFFH1872 wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, it had stopped working altogether recently, but there was an update for the software this morning and I can now access the drive again.

I just tried playing a 28 second video clip which is 52.8Mb in size.

If my calculations are correct (and they might not be! :smileyvery-happy:), it’s around 1.85 megabits per second bitrate.

What sort of bitrate is acceptable for constant streaming? As even trying to watch this 28 second clip was hard work, every 3 seconds it buffers, even though I can see the pre-loaded bar going all the way across.

I also tried it in a different media player aswell (VLC) but this didn’t help.

It’s actually 1.9 megaBYTES per second, which equates to about 16 megabits per second.

You say the location where the My Cloud is installed has 60 meg broadband, but only 8 mb/sec UPLOAD.   That’s way too slow for a file of that speed to stream.  The upload speed given that bandwidth needs to be at least 20-25 megabits per second for a video of that bitrate to play.

But you ought to be able to download the video and play it locally with no issue.

Can I download the video using the WD MyCloud desktop software? I don’t see any option for that.

If I can, then that will obviously help! :smileyvery-happy:

EDIT: Found a way. I can choose ‘Copy Link’ then paste it in my browser and it downloads it. This will work.

Thanks for all the help man.