Network User Access Denied

I have added a MyCloudMirror asa  NAS file storage to our Network. Installed the software on the servers.

I had purchased it specifically for 3 users on the network, and had added them as users through the MyCloud Dashboard.

Not sure what happened but after a couple of days use, these 3 users could no longer access the folders on the MyCloud. They receive the following error when trying to access the MyCloud through the network neighborhood.

MyCloud Error.jpg

Oddly enough, all the other users on the Network can access the MyCloud with no problems, through the Network Neighborhood, and they are not Added Users through the MyCloud Dashboard.

I have tried resetting the MyCloud by doing a System Restore, but to no avail, the 3 users still get the above error when trying to access the MyCloud, no matter if I add them as users or not.

All our users on the network access our domain via a terminal server thin client. Terminal Server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this access issue

Hello and welcome to the community,

Take a look at the information found on this link. Hope it helps.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windows/en-US/9c857d10-d06d-40ef-b3d8-23dfa34dbaa0/you-might-not-have-permission-to-use-this-resource

Have you changed the name of the MCM in the dashboard?

The \WDMYCLOUDMIRROR will only work if your MCM is named “WDMYCLOUDMIRROR” - for example if you’ve changed it to “MYNAS” then you’ll need to access it via \MYNAS instead.

Of course going in via Windows Explorer’s network list will look-up the name and resolve it automagically (presuming it finds the device of course, which mine occasionally doesn’t but that’s another story) but if you want to “manually” access it via its name then you need to ensure that you are using the correct and current name.

No name changes… this is odd since the only people that do not have access are the ones I added as users on the MYCLOUD.

Everyone else the access works perfectly.

One thing that may be important, is that the all the users log on to our network using thin clients. So there are no computers on the system except the Terminal Server.

If the affected users go to the network section, can they see the MCM? And if you create a public folder on the MCM, can they see that and its content?

Just to understand if it’s a network permissions question (the MCM not being visible at all) or a specific MCM access issue (it can be seen but not logged into).

All users can see the WDMYCLOUDMIRROR on the network as a device / computer, however, only the three affected users acnnot open it to see the shared folders.

Curiously, the three users were the only users that were added as users on the WDMYCLOUDMIRROR.

Wondering if that some how caused the problem, when they were added as users, noreply@wdmycloud.com sent them an email to register?

Thank you so much for you time and effort.

The email is concerning cloud access to the MCM via the WD apps, not direct local network access.

In the case above you should be able to access the MCM, at which point it will ask you for log-in credentials and from there it will determine what you can and cannot have access to based on your user settings on the MCM. But as you say you’re not even getting that far, so I’m wondering a little if the Windows accounts of the affected users have got bad credentials stored on them.

If you go into control panel and then user accounts on their machines, you can see saved credentials (there’s a link on the left hand side saying “Manage your credentials” on my Win7 box, if you’re on Win8 it may be a bit different). Review that (and the other parts of the user account section if required) and see if there’s anything in there which may be causing this glitch.

One other question - are the user account names on the MCM the same as those on the Windows log-ins themselves, or are they something different? If they are the same but with a different password (for example if they’ve changed their passwords since you set up the MCM due to routine password policy etc) then that might be why this problem is happening if the saved passwords are stale and now incorrect.

Darren,

Will have to check into the control panel credentials, as the users in question are on thin clients.

But to the other question, when I added the users who are having problems, MCM sent them an email to verify their email and activate a cloud account ( I did not know MCM did this ), the users in question registered and changed their passwords at www.wd2go.com.  I believe this may be the root of the problem.

If that is the problem would it be as simple as the users going back to www.w2go.com support and changing the passwords back to the passwords I had set up on the device?

The w2go accounts are designed for the cloud access via the apps/programs for the various tablets and computers, so that you can stream stuff off the MCM when you’re out and about. As I said before that account shouldn’t be interacting with access from a local network, but as you’re on a thin client set-up it might be confusing things perhaps and leading to such an interaction.

It is certainly something you can easily check as you propose by aligning all the passwords again as it will almost certainly be a password or credentials/permissions mis-match that is causing the overall issue. You can then test individually which passwords need to align on the MCM and the network to allow proper access to the box itself, and then go deeper for user account access within the MCM itself once you can access it at all.