WD EX4 Firmware update failed

I updated my WD EX4 with the lastest update.  Swithced it off, uplugged it, waited 5 minutes, plugged it back in… and after booting up for a while… “Firmware update failed”.  I already contacted WD support and they said to do a manual update.  Unfortunately, at the “failed” state, you cannot login to the Dashboard to do a maual update!  Has anyone had the same issue???  How did you resolve it???  Please help share your experiences and solutions!  Thanks!!!

kraipob wrote:

I updated my WD EX4 with the lastest update.  Swithced it off, uplugged it, waited 5 minutes, plugged it back in… and after booting up for a while… “Firmware update failed”.  I already contacted WD support and they said to do a manual update.  Unfortunately, at the “failed” state, you cannot login to the Dashboard to do a maual update!  Has anyone had the same issue???  How did you resolve it???  Please help share your experiences and solutions!  Thanks!!!

Hi kraipob, this issue is currently under investigation. 

Thank you for your quick response & I hope for a quick solution.  Next question, since I have RAID 1 drives, can I take one out and use it for now?

Firmware update has failed on me several times, too.

Hi John1000, were you able to perfomr the update many times?  

Hello kraipob,

I have tried updating at least twice, and each time it fails.  I am using the firmware update via the web console.  I haven’t tried to manually go through the update procedure if that makes a difference.

1 Like

I have “Update firmware failed” on the LCD and cannot go back into the web Dashboard.  It’s a brick now!

Holy crapola.  That’s not good.  I was fortunately able to get back into the NAS after the failed updates.  I hope you are able to recover things soon. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if WDC will provide some needed and past due support to resolve this issue as well as so many other issues that plague this device.  You probably will want to talk directly to support re: this issue.  Good luck.  

1 Like

if you got firmware update … you got something   firmware is still there

see if the device appears here

( network)

kraipob wrote:

I have “Update firmware failed” on the LCD and cannot go back into the web Dashboard.  It’s a brick now!

Are you getting activity LEDs and LCD or just LCD?

I had a similar firmware failure in which the LCD stuck at “Welcome to WD”.  No activity lights other than LCD.

Unplug power and network and let sit for 10 minutes or so.  Reconent LAN, and power.

You should know immediatly if this works.  LCD will come on and other activity LED lights should also begin.  If LCD comes on with no other activity LED, try again for longer.

Sometimes it takes mine a few attempts to do this, but if you look for the activity light, you should know if you problem is simmilar to mine.  If your getting activity LEDs and still same message, probably not.  If this works for you, reflash from a file on your computer, not via online.  You may be in a better state than I since the my upgrade took, but the LCD froze and I had nothing to reflash to.

NOTE: I noticed you have to have a HD in now to perform firmware upgrades.  But also note im one of the posters that had to recover all his data after this event.  (may just want to throw a dummy drive in bay 1 for safety if you have one.

Hi EX4Shot, LEDs blinked… the ststus LED turned RED.  LCD dsiplayed, “Update firmware failed”.  Yes, I unplugged all wires, left for 10 minutes unplugged and juiced it back again.  Results, always failed.  

The way to resolve it was to log into the EX4 by IP address.  You will get a “Safe Mode” screen.  Go download the firmware at WD and upload it.  Restart, then it works!

strange i never had a firmware fail on my unit with several updates…

only got volume failure