Setup SMS for Verizon

I need the setup URL for Verizon to send SMS messages.  Seems like WD should have a sample page setup with examples for the largest carriers around the world, not to mention the largest carrier in their home country.  Thanks!

1 Like

Hello,

The setup URL should be provided by the service provider.

Please see page 135 of the user manual for more details.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705113.pdf

With all due respect it’s not Veirzon’s responislbity to provide a solution to make yoru system work.  Every other SMS system I know of uses something like 1234567890@vtext.com or they just know how to text via major providers.  I will just call WD tech support and have them guide me.  Sending me a to a useless user manual is insulting and sure doens’t help.

1 Like

Instead of being angry just google and be happy!

** The Following Setup Is for Verizon Wireless Only ** 

Dont even mess with the SMS notification, just setup another email address to receive notifications using 1234567890@vtext.com as the email address.  That will relay whatever email the NAS sends directly to your phone via SMS.  I confirmed this works myself.

If you use a different carrier have a look at below;

AT&T: 0123456789@txt.att.net [VERIFIED]
Sprint: 0123456789@messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile: 0123456789@tmomail.net [VERIFIED]
Verizon: 0123456789@vtext.com [VERIFIED]

4 Likes

Yes, I know that works and dont’ tell me to Google things, I’ve already implemented that “solution”, but I was hoping the other solution, something I’d never considered, would bypass Verizon’s sometimes overly aggressive antispam filters.  The fact remains that it’s not Verizon’s, or AT&T’s or Sprint’s or any other wireless providers responsibility to make WD’s products work.  If WD is going to “document” this they could spend the time to build a KB article showing examples for each carrier.  WD wants to be in the business technology space, as opposed to the consumer space, but isn’t willing to actually take the time to guide people to managing their technology.  The moderator’s suggestion that I view a page in the manual, that’s arguably the worst written manual I’ve seen in a long time, really irritated me.  If this is how WD supports its customers I need to go back to our former storage provider and while I’d pay more, at least I’d get knowledgeable people who aren’t condescending to customers, you know, those people who when they buy product make it possible for WD to pay said moderators.

1 Like

I checked and dont see that Synology or Qnap provide this info either as others are asking in both of their forums. Having said that, I urge you to return your device.

1 Like

@ TubaOrNotTuba 

While I understand where you’re coming from, I believe you are misunderstanding the very purpose of the WD Community, which is user-to-user interaction. Us Moderators and some WD Staff members may post once in a while, but Western Digital has official, direct support channels for addressing technical issues, Customer needs and product feedback. 

Since you are suggesting for WD to feature/offer settings or a configuration guide that can bypass an ISP, maybe you should try contacting WD Support about this. I am personally not aware of a NAS manufacturer offering such a guide, but hopefully the WD Support Teams will be able to address your concerns if possible.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Dell was more than happy to help us setup notifications for all of their equipment.  They recommended we use the @vtext.com setting as well, but the WD manual states there is another way, which appears inaccurate for the largest carrier in their own country.  As for WD support, get it in fast, as they only will talk to you for 30 days.  That’s likely the reason I will be sending this back.  No other NAS vendor I’ve talked to limits support to 30 days.  They limit support to the warranty length and they all offer far longer than 2 year plans.  Yes, the WD product is much less expensive, but extended plans and contact might just be worth some added $.