Reboot after firmware upgrade taking forever

Fairly new EX4 install.  Just a couple days’ backups on it.  Was upgrading firmware to 1.04.05 to fix USB transfer issues before copying files from external drive.

Firmware upgraded then it rebooted.  Power LED has been flashing blue for a few hours.  Should it take this long?

Still flashing after 5-6 hours.  No ability to access dashboard.  Waiting for word from support on whether to power down and restart.

I wouldn’t do the firmware upgrade yet if i were you.

Apparently you aren’t the only one - this other user has problem with their EX2 (not EX4) update →  

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/MyCloud-EX2-automatic-firmware-update-permanent-Safe-Mode/m-p/783017

Contact WD support now, or if they are closed in the morning.

1 Like

mmckchi wrote:

Fairly new EX4 install.  Just a couple days’ backups on it.  Was upgrading firmware to 1.04.05 to fix USB transfer issues before copying files from external drive.

Firmware upgraded then it rebooted.  Power LED has been flashing blue for a few hours.  Should it take this long?

We have passed this along to support.

Same problem here EXCEPT Ex4 light flashing RED–set up Ex4 2 weeks ago, got notice today in Dashboard that firmware update available, clicked on Update Now, dashboard shut down, RED light flashing 30 minutes, LED says Welcome to Ex4. any way to manually reload old firmware when cannot access via web/dashboard?  rather frustrating! 

1 Like

Ok.  Back in business for now.  Support advised to just unplug power and ethernet, reconnect ethernet and hold down reset button.  Then plug power and keep holding reset for about 40 seconds.  Cam back up within a couple minutes and firmware has been upgraded.

Now on to the original goal of copying pics/vids from USB to NAS…

mmckchi wrote:

Ok.  Back in business for now.  Support advised to just unplug power and ethernet, reconnect ethernet and hold down reset button.  Then plug power and keep holding reset for about 40 seconds.  Cam back up within a couple minutes and firmware has been upgraded.

Now on to the original goal of copying pics/vids from USB to NAS…

Tried the fix above-DID NOT WORK–still have RED LED FLASHING. Anybody other ideas? Thanks

I never had the LED flashing red.  Just blue. Support any help?

Have the same problem Power light flashing RED have tried everything Tech support have suggested so far but still same

Richard-J wrote:

Have the same problem Power light flashing RED have tried everything Tech support have suggested so far but still same

Continue working with Tech Support if this thread and the other thread I linked to above does not have a solution that works.

Hi still waiting on tech support ?

But I was wodering if you know if my Data is likely to be OK it is in JBOD format ?

If so could I just go and get a NEW EX4 and pop the drive in and it work ?

I have try this a couple of times, but it doesn’t work

Hi! I have a similar problem and is wondering if I can use your solusion:

I came home from a small holiday in the beginning of this week and found my Mac powerbook unable to do back ups via TimeMachine to my My Cloud EX2. I entered the settings using http://wdmycloudex2.local and found that the EX2 needed a reboot. The automatic firm ware update was enabled and I guess it had been downloading a new firm ware version while I was away.

I allowed a reboot and then got a message saying that “the device is rebooting, do not unplug the device during the rebooting process” and a “sun” or a “wheel” spinning, but no digits. After a while, the LEDs for the hard disks turned off and the status LED (the above of the 3 LEDs) started flashing blue slowly.

It has been like that for the last 12 hours now and I must say I am very stressed about the situation. I can use my powerbook, but cannot do back ups. I have read the threads on problems with the recent firmware updates but I do not find any solutions there and also it seems like most people have problems downloading the firmware update at all -and not with the rebooting process afterwards? 

I then found your solution and is just wondering if you also were adviced NOT to unplug the device (guess that is what you do, when you cut off the power and ethernet)? And still it worked?

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Hi again!

I’ve now tried to reopen the Safari browser and enter the settings menu in my EX2 again…

And guess what, now everything works fine!?!

Have no idea what has happened, but the the reboot is over, the firm ware is OK and the back up in Time Machine is running…