Question regarding the FAN used by WD My Cloud EX2

Hey all, want to thank you folks on the forum for this. Helped a lot with running through my unit. Same problem here…NAS blew up, poor network access, randomly unable to create files. Did a replacement, second unit was a dud.

Got a customer satisfaction survey, figured my responses might help some of you folks making a purchase decision:

How much of your own personal effort was put forth on your end in order to handle your request? (The lower amount of personal effort put forth on your end is looked at as positive. Our goal is to have you put forth the least amount of effort in order to get an issue resolved.) - VERY HIGH

Two days of data transfer, 4 hours of diagnostics, 1.5 hours of phone-time with reps.

1. Based on your most recent interaction with our service and support team, please rate the agent who assisted you in respect to the following attributes: Demonstrated a pleasant attitude, Understood my questions, Showed patience and
    understanding, Provided clear communication, Gave me clear instructions - ALL AGREE

On SMB-grade products, would love to start out in Tier 2 service, instead of having to go through the same hold and conversation each time.

1. Based on your most recent interaction with our service and support team, please rate the agent who assisted you in respect to the following areas: Identified my issue(s), Had good product knowledge, Resolved my issue(s) - NEUTRAL, AGREE, STRONGLY DISAGREE

2. Based on your most recent interaction with our service and support team, please rate the quality of customer service you received from the agent who addressed your request. Met My Expectations - AGREE

I don’t have very high expectations for most support lines, but it was about what I expected - tier one, following the script, and an understaffed tier 2 line. Tier 2 tried to help, but the concern and follow-up just wasn’t there.

1. Did you try to resolve your issue by using our self-service tools? if YES, please proceed to Question number 6. If NO, please proceed to question number 7. - YES

2. If you tried to resolve your issue on your own, how easy was our self-service systems? Service & support Website, Automated Phone System, Knowledgebase - NEUTRAL, N/A, NEUTRAL

Found better information in the WD forums, although WD should maintain a stronger presence in those areas. Some of the answers were just copy-paste from spec sheets, and not anything truly meaningful to the situation.

1. How would you rate your product experience? Hardware, Software - VERY DISSATISFIED, DISSATISFIED

We’re not a big network, but I purposely bought the EX2 with certain standards in mind.

Firmware seems to not be regulating the fan at the speeds needed to keep the drives cool, and no settings to put it at a more aggressive or always-on profile exist. Fan fails to spin up at 49+ degrees after updating firmware, and software reports no issues. Replacement drive had the same problems, and had the bonus of the raid failing, then the disc throwing up smart errors.

Tier 2 didn’t even seem concerned when I told them that my skin was burned while pulling the drives out of the first unit, and I currently had multiple fans on the second unit to keep it on ‘life support’ and get to an operational temp of around 30 degrees. I got the same lukewarm response when I voiced concern about the product line, and offered to run through logs to try to help find a resolution, instead of just burning through more call tags and hardware. This may be something with a small run of the devices, but a notable number of comments have been made on the WD forum within the past couple of months, and I was hoping for something more than ‘well, this is just not often that this happens, and I don’t see a lot of tickets, so it’s probably not a big issue.’

This is not what I expect out of a WD product, and multiple requests for calls/emails to try to follow up and see if this is a larger issue have been promised, but not returned.

If this third replacement has the same issues, I’ll be asking to swap out to an EX4.