Question about encryption and another about SmartWare Speed

I am new to the EX2 and have two questions:

• I noticed some users talking about encryption on the forums, but I was wondering - does the unit originally come shipped with encryption on or off?  Where does one find out if encryption is on or off on the device in the admin area?  I did not see any references to it.
  • I am using SmartWare to backup to the EX2 and I have noticed that it seems to be going at a snail’s pace.  Is there some trick to get the speeds up when using this software for at least the initial backup?

Thanks for any info!

Hello, 

The drive does not come with encryption. The data will be secure and password protected only if you stored it on a private share.

When transferring large files to or from a Personal Cloud drive, performance may be slower than expected 

In the interest of being factual, the drive does in fact have encryption capability.  It is not on by default.  Please see the EX2 manual page 85 for details.

“10. Select the type of encryption you’d like on the volume.
Note: Encryption is not available for certain regions.”

As for the second part of your question, please make certain you are not connecting over a wireless link to make your backup.  Connecting wirelessly will make for a very slow transfer rate.

Thank you for the replies.  I am glad to know that encryption is not on by default (for the sake of speed at the moment).

Also, I have found that the SmartWare software is just too slow for whatever reason for me and I gave Acronis True Image 2014 Non-stop backups a try and they are much quicker.

Thanks!

Interesting, there is a way to turn on encryption if it’s not available for my region? Does anyone have experience on that?