New user question

I installed a EX2 system and set up my wife as a guest user. When I look at the screen for Shares I see four shares listed. One has my wife’s name whiich I assume is where her backups will go, one says “Public”, another says “Smartware” and the last says “TimeMachineBackup”

I assume Public is an area which is shared by all users

I have no idea what TimeMachineBackup is or Smartware.

Since I am the Admin, how come I don’t have a Share?

hello,

the TimeMachine folder is for MACs backups and the other one is for backing up your WINDOWS PC with the Smartware software from WD.

Even if you are an admin, you still need to create forders for you, other than those created by default. Just remember that after you create a folder from the EX2 dashboard, you need to give read/write access.

1 Like

OK - so since I don’t have a MAC I don’t need to worry about the TimeMachine share.

And I assume Share is just another name for a folder.

So if I buy the Smartware software, that is what will do my backups for me. Correct??

And if I install the software on my wife’s PC, her backups will go the the Share with her name and my backups will go to a folder I still need to setup. Correct??

So what will go to the Smartware share? That is what still confuses me.

You are correct about TimeMachine. I just deleted mine from the NAS

Share - is a folder that can be accessed across the network. It can have whatever name you want to give it.

WD Smartware backup software can back up a PC wherever you want on your NAS. You can set the default folder Smartware to be the target folder for all of your backups, or you can choose one folder for you and one folder for your wife.

As you can see here, you don’t really need WD Smatware backup software if you want to backup your PCs

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/10436/c/130/p/247,502

but backup is a big subject, so i just scratched the surface here :slight_smile:

also, whenever i have the opportunity i always say this: one NAS alone is not backup. RAID is not backup, it’s redundancy. You need a backup for the files on your NAS!!

1 Like

Thanks. I have a lot of reading to do I guess.