Portable firefox Run as administrator
Enter the ip of your nas
load the firmware
the percentage must have to visualize that to be increasing from 0% to 100%
wait about 10 minutes
orange and blue lights flash.
enter the IP of the NAS.
Done.
If it detects that it was wrong firmware to download it again and repeat all steps.
to me it has worked perfectly.
I think the problem was a bad programming and HTML browsers and java **bleep**, I’m pretty sure if I had uninstalled jre-7u67-windows-i586 and have an old version 5.xx or 6.xx would have worked, but I did not want to lose more hours.

PS: sorry Post in Spanish, also translate with google traslator and will stick :frowning: certainly break the rules but that the forums in Spanish there is NOTHING about this problem.

Solucion:
Windows 8.1
firefox portable 1.0.8 en_us

desconectar NAS de la corriente

descargar archivo firmware My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.05.bin

Ejecutar firefox portable como administrador
Introducir la ip de tu nas
cargar el firmware
el porcentaje se tiene que visualizar tiene que ir en aumento de 0% a 100%
esperar unos 10 minutos
luces naranjas y azules parpadearan.
introducir la ip del NAS.
Listo.
En el caso de que detecte que firmware era erroneo volver a descargarlo y repetir todos los pasos.
a mi me ha funcionado perfectamente.
Pienso que el problema esta en una mala programacion HTML y los navegadores actuales y el maldito java, estoy casi seguro que si hubiera desintalado jre-7u67-windows-i586 y hubiera instalado una version antigua 5.xx o 6.xx hubiera funcionado, pero no queria perder mas horas.

PD: Publico en castellano lo siento, tambien traducire con google traslator y pegare :frowning: seguro que incumplo las normas pero es que los foros en castellano no hay NADA sobre este problema.

3 Likes

Neale1993 I have this problem too…

Anyone’s RMA ship yet?, mine is still pending but I did get an invite to fill out a Customer Satisfaction Survey, um yeah.

Mine was supposed to ship on friday…

UPS reported it was not on the way,

so I called to check,

as of 11am EST, The RMA system is down… , nothing was shipping. 

I did get the survey…

Hi Pete,

I have a question to you. I have the same problem like all the others on this page. I tried all the solutions to this problem but i couldn’t solve it. Your solution sounds like the most reasonable. I have no idea what i have to do with the Debugging on Firefox. I selected it and kind of a console showed up. I tried to upload it as usual with the console open but it didn’t work. What settings do you have in you debugging (firefox mac)? I’m not really the technical guy so i hope you can explain it to me.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Cristo

Hi Cristo,

Disclaimer - I can only tell you what I did, what worked for me.  Your results may vary.  Contact WD support if it doesn’t work.  It’s not my fault.

ok, having said that,

It was sufficient for me to enable debugging, but not actually do anything in the console that opened.  Just do what you would normally do, namely:

1. power off the NAS - make sure it is not “doing anything” when you do this.
  2. wait a minute
  3. turn it on, wait for the lights to settle down (probably red and 2 blinking red/blue drive lights)
  4. open the browser 
  5. turn on debugging (tools/developer/debugger) - you’ll see a console below the normal browser window.  Ignore this, but don’t close it.
  6. verify that you know the location of your EX2 (ping xxxxx where xxxx is either the hostname or ip address of the EX2.  if you don’t know it, try “wdmycloudex2”)
  7. enter the url of your EX2 (example: http://xxxx) in your browser window
  8. you will see the safe mode screen, which prompts you to upload the .bin file containing the firmware. upload the file.
  9. when I did this, I saw a “spinner”.  When it worked, the spinner had a percentage in the middle, that counted up to 100.  When it failed, I did not see a spinner.  I don’t think the percentage actually means it failed, but for me it showed that it worked differently than before… and better
  10. The top light on the front of the EX2 went from red to yellow (it never did that before), then red.
  11. When it completed, I got a verify firmware failure message, so I went back to step 7 and repeated the process.
  12. This time, the top light went blue and the other 2 lights started flickering.  Blue means you are done… I think.
  13. the flickering was caused by the EX2 scanning the drive for pictures and music, which could take a while
  14. going back to the browser, I went back to http://xxxx and saw the usual dashboard - this took several minutes after step 12.

to be clear, I did not hit any reset buttons or enter any debugging commands in firefox.  In fact, the only reason I entered the debugger was to see if there was any traffic going on between the EX2 and firefox and was shocked when it worked.

Cristo, does this help?

Pete

3 Likes

Hello Pete,

finally, it worked for me! I tried it yesterday, but it never worked. I am not sure what I was doing wrong, but I thing I used old firmware file (My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.04.bin instead of My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.05.bin). Today I tried use this one and everything went smooth as you described.

Thank you again!

Martin

Hi Pete,

Thank you very much for your detailed desription. I will try it as soon as i get home.

I think it will work with your description.

I am very thankfull for your fast respond.

Best regards,

Markus

I tried using the Firefox debugger method on a Win 7 machine.  It did start the counter.  Upon completion, the message said the update did not work.  I tried again.  Same result.  However, I now have a flashing blue light for power and steady blue lights for the two drives.

But I can no longer connect to the EX2 through dashboard or any other method I tried.

I applied for an RMA yesterday.  The website RMA process failed.  Had to call to intiate an RMA.

my case to wd opened on the 20th, emailed the twice now and still no reply, tried to do rma on website but will not allow me to enter united kingdom address. so looks like i have to call them 2moro now, :frowning:

RandyRobinson wrote:

I tried using the Firefox debugger method on a Win 7 machine.  It did start the counter.  Upon completion, the message said the update did not work.  I tried again.  Same result.  However, I now have a flashing blue light for power and steady blue lights for the two drives.

But I can no longer connect to the EX2 through dashboard or any other method I tried.

I applied for an RMA yesterday.  The website RMA process failed.  Had to call to intiate an RMA.

I also have the same issue. According to the manual, the blue flashing power indicator implies the device is attempting to boot up and update the firmware. Mines been stuck like this for hours now. 

Going to have to call tomorrow. 

Anyone know if the data can be saved? If you had it set up as a 6TB (2 x 3TB, cant remember which raid number >.<) 

My Advance RMA finally shipped, hopefully I can get back to my data by the end of the week.  Just curious are users running the current firmware that started this mess?  Wondering if I should avoid it with the replacement unit.

Sal_O wrote:

Just curious are users running the current firmware that started this mess?  Wondering if I should avoid it with the replacement unit.

Yes, I am running the latest firmware version - running fine on mine for the past week. No reason why once you get a new unit you wouldn’t either. But since your replacement unit just shipped, it may or may not come with it pre-installed (hopefully it is).

I do recommend at the time of setting it up to turn auto-update off - but it by default might be set that way, so I am not sure if it will try to install the latest firmware if yours doesn’t already ship with it, right at setup time - hopefully it doesn’t :slight_smile:

After you have turned it off, you will just have to manually download and run the firmware update - which has worked out fine for me for the past 3-4 months. I often wait for a week or so and also take the time to review the release notes, before I attempt the manual update. It might be a good idea to visit these forums during that intervening time to see what’s happening with other users. Although, chances are it isn’t ncessearily going to happen to you if you went the manual update route…but best to be informed, in my opinion.

Same issue.  Advance RMA in progress.  Thanks to those who’ve taken the time to post on this topic, you have helped me.
I have not tried Pete’s solution, as my EX-2 still has flashing lights and the Firefox window still has a progress circle with no percentage indicator.
Here are details regarding my WD Support experience on August 28 2014, if it may help anyone else.  Apologies for the redundancy with prior posts.
I put in an support ticket on the web, called in to the US 800 number, and the person I spoke with immediately Advance RMA’d my EX-2, after discussing it and researching it very briefly while I was on hold.
I was told that this is a known issue that some EX-2 users were seeing, and the representative recommended not to update firmware unless there was a problem using the EX-2, and he recommended not to enable automatic FW update on this device.
They gave me a 5 business day expectation for the new EX-2 to arrive. (EDIT: arrived within that window)
They could not send just the enclosure, they could only send one populated with drives (smaller than what I have installed) so I’ll have to put those drives into the box I send back.  They think my data will show up when I move my drives to the new enclosure.
The RMA shipping information (UPS in this case) is being sent by email, rather than including a peel off label in the box with the replacement unit.

UPDATE: RMA EX2 arrived quickly, moved drives to same positions in new (empty) chassis, and all is working well, data accessible.
Updated firmware while attached to the EX2 by Ethernet and it succeed.

I am now up and running with a new EX-2.  WD support called me on 8/21 and on 8/28 my replacement EX-2 arrived.  I now have to put the old EX-2 in the box and return it.  I followed instructions to swap the drives to the same bays and just like the guy said, my data on the drives were uneffected by the whole orderal.    …the new EX-2 says there is a new firmware but since it is the same one that started this mess I elected not to update AND I have turned off auto-update.

I recieved my replacement unit today as well.  I removed the drives it came with and put it on the network but with no internet so that I could be sure to disable auto update before it even had a chance to check.  I then manually applied the latest firware and crossed my fingers, installed without a hitch.  Popped in my drives and said OK to using the detected RAID and I’m back in business, finally.

Hi Sinilios

Thanks you so much, it works perfect !!!:smiley:

Hi People.

Greetings from The Netherlands :slight_smile:

After updating my WD MYCLOUD EX2 its in permanent safemode to >:-(

I’m using a mac an cant seem to upload and firmware to the drive.

I keep seeing and spinner, but without any percentage.

Does anybody know the awnser?!?!

Koolenboer wrote:

Hi People.

Greetings from The Netherlands :slight_smile:

After updating my WD MYCLOUD EX2 its in permanent safemode to >:-(

I’m using a mac an cant seem to upload and firmware to the drive.

I keep seeing and spinner, but without any percentage.

Does anybody know the awnser?!?!

For me, WD support tried everything via remote connection to my computer, then they even talked me through an attempt to update the firmware via a USB memory stick in the USB 1 slot.  Nothing worked.  So they sent me a replacement unit where I had to swap out the drives with my drives. (there is nothing wrong with the drives)  Some posters here have managed to get it to work again.  Read throught the various methods they used.  If nothing works you’ll need to contact WD support for an advanced replacement unit.

Thanx Pete,

In my case running firefox in debug mode on a Macbook Air worked fine on first try !!!

Luc