Migration

My existing setup is a MyBookLiveDuo.  I have a new MyCloud EX2 and I would like to migrate my files to it.

I am able to map both drives and copy the files over but this will take an estimated 48 hours.  Is there a more direct way to connect these drives in order to facilitate a higher rate of transfer?  Or a better technique?

Thank you,

-Robert

If you have windows, Google for SyncToy 2.1.  First set up the copy BUT don’t run. Next set it to run with task manager at night. See SyncToy help on how to schedule with task manager. Don’t use basic as you won’t get the options you want. When scheduled correctly it can bet set to wake up a PC from sleep mode. When runfrom task manager, it runs silently in the background.

Or just enable FTP on the MBL and use the FTP app on the EX2 to copy your files directly.

Don’t know why I didn’t do this the first time but for the 2nd one, I hooked a drive to the USB port, copied to it then hooked it up to the duo (and an EX 2) and exported from the USB.  What took 5 hours with backup software only took a few minutes with USB 3.0.  Make sure you shut down the USB drive from the dashboard!

1 Like

So you copied to the external usb’d drive simply by mapping and then using Windows Explorer to copy the files over?

Allerian wrote:

So you copied to the external usb’d drive simply by mapping and then using Windows Explorer to copy the files over?

It’s faster if you use the web UI and its copy features! :wink:

Thanks for the info but I’d like to clarify.

On the LiveBookDuo, I’d use “Safepoints”, to create the backup, correct?

On the EX2 I’d use the “USB Backups” feature and create a “USB to NAS” job to restore it, correct?

Allerian wrote:

On the EX2 I’d use the “USB Backups” feature and create a “USB to NAS” job to restore it, correct?

Ciao Allerian,

it’s correct and it will be perfect if you want to automate the job, but you can also use “Web File Viewer” to move/copy files from USB to NAS.

Allerian wrote:

You only want to use “Safepoint” if you want to create a recovery backup, meaning you can recover from a crash, but you want be able to access the backup info.

If you want to create an identical backup, meaning a backup you can actually access your data, there is no reason to make it difficult and use a USB drive to move data from your MBLDuo to the EX2.  As I stated you can use the built in FTP app to copy data from one NAS to the other over you network.

The FTP app allows you to copy the data directly from one NAS to the other without the need of a PC and you can set it as a recurring backup.  Just open the UI, select APPS, FTP Downloads.  Select the Login method of your MBLDuo (if it requires a username/password to access your MBL use Account, if not then leave it as Anonymous), the File type (whether you want to copy a single file or an entire folder), the URL for you MBLDuo (which will be something like: ftp://yourMBLipaddress/folder), then browse to were you want to copy the data on the EX2, then Create.

The only other thing you need to do is to make sure you enable FTP Access on both the EX2 and you MBLDuo.

No, I plugged a USB drive into the EX2 then from the EX2 dash board I did the backup.  The non-profit that’s using this has an old slow network. Doing it by any other means takes days rather than minutes.